What makes a photo "comment-able"

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Cause apparently mine are not. I'm not looking for praises. I would be happy with "this picture sucks and here's why". So... what do you think makes a shot comment-able. I'm sorry but I could not find the other discussion that is similar to this one.

you need a sexy avatar like mine

For me I tend to comment on pictures that move me in one way or another.

If it moves me positively, I'll comment on it, if it moves me negatively, then I will comment, if it just falls into the category of generic in my eyes, then I don't comment.

You know, I'm not sure that it is completely about the picture. I always "set the scene" with where I was, the situation and ask for feedback, or whatever I am looking for. I think I have only had 1 or 2 threads that just didn't get any comments and I post quite often.

On the flip side, sometimes when I am browsing, I have to be in the mood to comment. So, sometimes I can see the most fantastic photo in the world, but I won't feel like commenting (but I will probably go back later). Others, I will, or will at least offer any advice I can offer in my small bit of knowledge...

See, I must be in one of my "chatty" moods for this post!

Often, you get out what you put in.

If you just post up an image...the viewer may not know what you were trying to do, how you tried to do it or if you accomplished what you were trying to do. If you let the viewer in on some of the info and thought behind the shot, you are probably more likely to get some thoughtful critique.

I would say put up the shot - a little background to the shot - and also what you used (kit, lens camera) and also the ISO, shutter speed and apature of the shot - yes this is all in the exif which might or might not be attached to your shot, but to have it there and then to view in the post makes it easier to comment on technique for viewers.
That is what I do when I am after comments - most of the time it works - if not bumping helps (and posting few images as well)

I don't comment on photos to often on any of the forums I visit... It's usually too hard to determine what the original poster is looking for in terms of feedback. I'll chime in if something jumps out at me and was most likely an oversight that the shooter missed (horribly unflattering angles, bizarre settings that caused problems, etc.).

I find that good critiques, with pros and cons, reasons behind the opinions, and possible suggestions are time consuming to write and often it's not what the photog is looking for.

I would not worry about it. The idea is to get people to see your work. Mostly I go by how many people have viewed it. Comments are tough and very particular to each section of this forum.

)'(

There has to be a specific reason for me to comment and that is usually to point out a problem. If you don't get comments I would say your photos are average (I haven't looked at them yet) just because no one is saying they are bad or good. I think not getting comments leans more to the side of a good photo just because to me sometimes replying "Great Photo!" is pointless.

i think lostprophet hit the nail on the head...

you asked me last night and i didnt answer, so ill answer you here...

my comments come for a number of reasons. like lyncca, i have to be in the mood to comment. sometimes thats everyday and sometimes i wont want to comment for days. its directly related to my mood.
often times run of the mill shots dont require comments because they are run of the mill...and thats not bad, but there isnt much to say about them.
other times, i dont think my comment would serve any good so i dont bother posting.
pictures that have a lot of comments i wont comment on just because it has a lot of comments (this excludes pictures where conversations/discussion have begun)

im very new to photography, but i love it. naturally, ill have lots of questions so when i post a picture, i sometimes ask questions....typically, when people respond to the question, they'll talk about other things that you may not have noticed.

What makes a great shot is very simple; it has to make an emotional connection with the viewer and that means it has nothing to do with technique or equipment-the person looking at the shot couldn't care less whether it was shot on a Leica or an Lomo.
There are very few photographs which are truly 'great' and unforgettable; just as there is the airport novel you'll read once and forget and great literature which you'll read again and again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back