What makes a photograph collectable ?

timor

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, interesting problem, which may boggel some of us.
Collectible Photographs
Especially now, when mass reproduction doesn't even require a skilled technician. (Not to mention an artist her/himself.)
What are your opinions, especially looking forward to hear from members, who actually sell own photographs in form of real prints.
The another question is, if computer files representing photographs will become, or already became collectable. I think music files and movies did.

Eye of the beholder. I would not pay a dime for some of Picasso's work. And yet his paintings go for millions.

The willingness of Joe Schmoe to part with his money and buy a given image.

What are your opinions, ..
Sorry, I didn't read the entire article. Way too lengthy and wide.

My opinion: Rarity, and desirability. Rarity is something that can be manipulated, even after the image is created. Desirability may be somewhat subjective, depending on people's appreciation of the artistic qualities. The two together will affect the perceived value.

Also applies to the market value of a "perceived" collectable, because up until that point it's still pretty much someone else's junk. :allteeth:

Also applies to the market value of a "perceived" collectable, because up until that point it's still pretty much someone else's junk. :allteeth:
Beanie Babies (just as the first example I though of). Beanie Babies are back to being junk now after some people paid dearly to acquire certain ones.

Beanie Babies (just as the first example I though of). Beanie Babies are back to being junk now after some people paid dearly to acquire certain ones.

Now you are entering the realm of Diminishing Marginal Utility, where as each Beanie Baby was purchased, and filled the purchasers desire for ownership of that collectible, Marginal Utility (satisfaction) declined. Without intrinsic value the item eventually reverted to the junk status it was, before emotions caused the run up. Another one that comes to mind is the Cabbage Patch Doll.

For me collecting photos is subject matter. I have a friend who collects old photos of just vintage street scenes. I myself collect old photos of automobiles and also "cabinet cards" but only if there is a photographer's advertisement on the back.
Cabinet cards...... Cabinet card - Wikipedia

Most reactions

New Topics

Back