What makes it right?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by batonrougeart, Jul 26, 2007.

1. batonrougeart

batonrougeart TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have stated here before, I am a artist, musician. When I paint, I started off traditional, but got more into the mixed media and abstract side. Same with music, It became more of a prog. style with effects and pushing the bar.
    My question here is this, why is it that so many people follow such a strict guideline with photograpy? Saying it should be done this way or that way takes the art out of it. The person holding the camera is the artist and the camera being the brush......who at that point says its right or wrong?

2. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Well, I'm actually the guy but I'm not saying. ;)

Do what you feel, say what you think, respect your brothers and sisters and get at least one good night's sleep every couple of days. Beyond that it's up to you!!

mike

3. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What strict guideline is that?

4. JustinPhilip

JustinPhilip TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Probably things like the rule or thirds and proper lighting techniques. I think it is important to first learn and master the rules and then you can break them.

5. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Why, the person holding the camera. :er:

6. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There is no perfect photograph. There will always be people who like a certain picture and others that don't. The rules are just there so you can appeal to the broadest audience, being those trying to learn them and people that learned them, then are too snobby to allow anything otherwise. If they see how well you followed the rules, they'll be amazed because they can't seem to do it right. But when you're able to replicate a rule at any time due to you mastering them and you CHOOSE which ones to follow and which ones to break to convey a message, that is where your artestry gets the better of you, and truly great work emerges. I think the best test you can give a photograph is to ask people how it makes them feel.
    Ask 5 "average Joes" and then ask 5 "professionals" if any one of them tells you that the photo moves them, you've succeeded in appealing to an audience, if the pros give you majority success, then you most likely are a "good" photographer that can produce great work many will enjoy. There is no "right" and "wrong" or "good" and "bad" in photography (unless of course you make a goal when taking a picture, and miss it completely, like wanting rich colors and getting an overexposed shot with lots of blown highlights and low contrast). Artwork is all about appeal, just aim to spread your emotions to others the most and that is success. I've heard a lot of my friends say that I take great photos, but then again they'd never heard of a digital SLR camera before and don't know true photographic art and I also think in their head they add (great photos for a 17 year old kid but would easily start seeing mistakes even uneducated when compairing my work to National Geographic photos). I personally don't think I am a good photographer. Sure I can properly expose a shot, sure I can balance the composition, sure I know a lot about cameras and their functions, but I honestly don't think I've "moved" anyone with a photo yet.

7. batonrougeart

batonrougeart TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ....because he or she is the one capturing the subject...most of the time something people see everyday and walk past. For that person to see something ordinary and want to capture it, and does it with sucess to at least their standards....then THEY are the artist.

8. batonrougeart

batonrougeart TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

This is pretty much what I was talking about. I see some pictures and without a doubt....they are just snapshot worthy, and maybe good enough for a keepsake, and thats it. But some people capture things and it comes out blurred, and instead of scraping it, they go with it. Maybe go in photoshop and alter it by some means, but really create something beautiful with it. I guess there are just different peope that like different images. I for one, like to see macro images of things such as a nail entering wood, and things like that. It doesnt have to be a beautiful landscape or something of the like. Personally, I like to see a photo that is different that just seeing what the human eye can see. Im not really into the realistic images.
    I have stated before, I am pretty new to photography, I just see alot of things I like, and other people saying its not a worthy phot....like in different online galleries.

9. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

I dunno.... I've heard a LOT of crappy music in my day too.

Pete

10. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

That is a very sloppy definition of an artist.
    You need to define your terms because by your definition everyone who takes a picture is an 'artist', and this is quite patently not true.
    If it were true then Photo booths, which are just automatic machines that take pictures, would (under your definition) be artists as well.
    If a machine can be an artist then the whole concept is undermined and becomes meaningless.
    True artists do far more than just produce something.

I think calling them a 'photographer' would be much better ;)

11. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I write: there is right, and then there is left.

Right?

Right!

12. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are of course some ideals. In my mind, the bulk of photography can be divided into three ideals, The abstract crowd, the f.64 crowd, and the fashion and commercial crowd (the Factory included). They remain ideal because so few people ever get on par with them. That's why they're often referred to as masters. They aren't always breaking the rules. They're often doing the same things we do, except they do them nearly perfectly.