What makes Leicas so collectible?

Found at an estate sale this weekend for 5 tanking dollars:

mzoomfm3.jpg

Looks great and works perfectly. :mrgreen:

Found at an estate sale this weekend for 5 tanking dollars:

mzoomfm3.jpg

Looks great and works perfectly. :mrgreen:

I think those were actually made by Canon ... but I'll give you $10.00 for it anyway.

LWW

BTW, I've never owned a Leica but have used a couple belonging to friends and own a few other RF cameras.

A few points:

- Overall I much prefer an SLR, and use Nikon, because of the availability to concentrate on what the actual photo will look like thru the VF. I like being able to stop down and see the DOF thru the VF. I like the availability of zoo.m lenses. I'm not saying these are right or wrong for everyone but they work for me in the majority of my shooting ... but not all.

- Like RF's for inside such as plays, museums, public forums and whatnot shooting as they are much quieter. They are also much lighter and easier to handhold in low light.

Overall, both are tools but different tools. I can assemble things with a hammer or with a screwdriver, but I own both hammers and screwdrivers because each is superior to the other under the right conditions.

Now, as to a Leica ... and let me say my goal is NOT to start a flame war or insult anyone's camera of choice. I am merely stating my opinion and each reader may give it whatever value they deem it ot be worth.

- Leica cameras, not the Canon rebrands, are IMHO the most overpriced camera on the market. That's not saying they are bad because they are also IMHO they are amazing pieces. They are very high quality, seem to be quite reliable to the best of my knowledge, and handle/function quite well. So does a Nikon for a fraction of the cost.

- The main reason, again my opinion, to own a Leica is their glass is awesome. It is awesomely expensive as well. Leica lenses and Nikkor lenses are top notch glass and build quality ... especially the Nikkor pro grade stuff. Again, Nikkors can be had for a fraction of the cost.

I have honestly lusted after a Leica since I bought my first Yashica SLR, and have never lost that lust I've went through Nikon F/F2/F3/F4 and now a D50.

I am at a point in life where I could actually afford a new Leica, but will probably never buy one simply because I'm too ding - diddly - arned cheap to let go of the money.

LWW

Let me just throw in here one single fact:

I own and shoot with a 1933 or 1934 Leica IIIa (LMT or SM). The camera functions flawlessly, more so, the spacing between the frames is the same, accurate to the highest degree of perfection. Does this make any camera a great camera? Not necessarily but it shows reliability over the years and the high degree of precision they were built with.

I've shot with other sophisticated cameras, I somehow go back to this simple, yet satisfying to shoot Leica IIIa.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back