What mode do you use most?

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by Markw, Nov 13, 2008.

?

What mode do you shoot in most?

  1. Aperture Priority

    22 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. Shutter length priority (sp)

    3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. Program

    6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Manual

    26 vote(s)
    44.8%
  5. Auto

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

    1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Markw

    Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2008
    Messages:
    4,051
    Likes Received:
    231
    Location:
    Baltimore
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here are the choices (obviously)
     
  2. matt-l

    matt-l TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2007
    Messages:
    2,707
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Newfoundland..Due East
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    100% Manual...Wait*Edit* 98% Manual and some Shutter priority( not much though.
     
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  3. rom4n301

    rom4n301 TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2007
    Messages:
    614
    Likes Received:
    3
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    yay for manual =]
     
  4. outlandishogle

    outlandishogle TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2007
    Messages:
    108
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    chicago
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    wahoo for manual!
     
  5. invisible

    invisible Been spending a lot of time on here!

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2007
    Messages:
    5,213
    Likes Received:
    977
    Location:
    Canada
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    99.9% manual, 0.1% aperture priority.
     
  6. MikeBcos

    MikeBcos TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2008
    Messages:
    548
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    When I carry my camera I keep it in Program, that way I can just grab a quick shot without having to mess with anything. The majority of my photos are quick grabs, local interest or family so the majority are taken in program.

    However, when I have time to set up for a particular shot I will use whatever suits it best, shutter priority, aperture priority or manual, very rarely program for them.
     
  7. eminart

    eminart TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Messages:
    206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Huntsville, AL
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use manual most of the time, but for quick-moving wildlife I use aperture priority a lot.
     
  8. potownrob

    potownrob TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Messages:
    312
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I use aperture priority for almost everything, from snapshots to landscapes to strange sky shots. Forcing myself to choose a good aperture helps me almost always know what aperture to use. The only cameras I use manually are mom's old Miranda Sensorex (which is full manual) and my Nikon FG-20 (whose AP mode doesn't work). In these cases I sometimes use the opportunity to choose a shutter speed a stop or 2 off depending on the lighting situation (as opposed to using exposure compensation settings like I do on my D40).
     
  9. a_spaceman

    a_spaceman TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2008
    Messages:
    165
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    sthlm - se
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    manual - the only i have and the one i'd use the most anyway...!
     
  10. potownrob

    potownrob TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Messages:
    312
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Can someone please explain the advantages of using manual mode on cameras with AP and SP/TV modes that also have exposure compensation settings?? I think I'm missing something here :confused:.
     
  11. Over Exposed

    Over Exposed TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2008
    Messages:
    212
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Asheville, NC
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    manual
     
  12. sabbath999

    sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,696
    Likes Received:
    62
    Location:
    Missouri
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    All the cool kids shoot manual only.

    Me? I am not a cool kid, it seems like a silly waste of time to me... either you trust your camera meter, or get a new freaking camera (or at least a handheld meter) IMHO... (not counting shooting multi flashes in the strobist fashion ... then manual is the only way to go).

    I shoot Aperture Priority about 90 percent of the time, and Shutter Priority the other 10 percent.
     

Share This Page