What must I do to get a photo of this dog!

Spidy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok ... there are several things going on here. This is a big, beautiful Chocolat Lab. He looks almost black, but I can see brown in him.

The issues are

1. He hates his picture taken :meh: When ever the camera comes out he "looks" the other way. No matter what. I put the long lenz on and went on the other side of the house, and he STILL turned his head while looking sly-lee out of the corner of his eye.

And 2. He blends into everything, and he's really hard to capture the dark fur.

Here we go ... ideas, suggestions, CC is always welcome and appreciated.

#1 "No ... I will not look"

Snickerstwo.jpg

#2 "Nope ... still not looking"

Snickersone.jpg

#3 "Ok, I will kind-of look, but I'm going to stand by this brown couch with a brown blanket so I blend in" :meh:

Snickersthree.jpg

#4 "Woo hoo! TREATS" So there I am holding a treat with one hand and shooting with the other!

Snickersfour.jpg

It's been a bit of a struggle, and I'm thinking I will have to beg someone to help "pose" him. I really wanted natural, but that aint gonna happen!

He wont blend in with green grass, (that is if you are not snowed in like I am.)
Play fetch with him outdoors and when he is returning whatever it is that you threw, get down to his level and fire away.

LOL, I can't help much, but I understand your pain. Today I FINALLY got some of my pup Dex. He is always determined to NOT show his face, sit where I want, look the right direction, etc.

With him, I woke him up from a nap and offered treats. Then he was tired and hungry :)

My results:
main.php

Treats and toys work best, that's what I use with both my boxer and my lab. If not I catch them sleeping. ha!
Even if their is snow on the ground you can get a good photo of him. I'll post some of mine playing out in the snow to show you.

He wont blend in with green grass, (that is if you are not snowed in like I am.)
Play fetch with him outdoors and when he is returning whatever it is that you threw, get down to his level and fire away.

Thank you for the suggestion ... but alas, we have snow. Ton's of it to be excact! Right now we are having a mini blizzard ... oh yay.

I haven't mastered the black dog against the snow yet. I'm struggling with how I should set my camera. He shows up really nice, there's just no definition to him even when I'm focusing on him. I think because he is so black and the snow is so white.

Any ideas on how to shoot good shots in the snow?

Thanks again!

LOL, I can't help much, but I understand your pain. Today I FINALLY got some of my pup Dex. He is always determined to NOT show his face, sit where I want, look the right direction, etc.

With him, I woke him up from a nap and offered treats. Then he was tired and hungry :)

Ha ha :D .. it does sound like you know what I'm talking about! I just love dogs to pieces though. Even when they are being camera shy.

When I try the treats to get a picture, Snickers (the chocolate lab) puts on his "dopey" face :confused:

Thanks for replying!

Treats and toys work best, that's what I use with both my boxer and my lab. If not I catch them sleeping. ha!
Even if their is snow on the ground you can get a good photo of him. I'll post some of mine playing out in the snow to show you.

Thanks for the suggestions. Like I said in my reply to the previouse poster, I need to figure out how to shoot a dark (shiny) dog against white (shiny) snow and make it look like he isn't a silhouete! :lol:

I really appreciate all of the reply's. More than you know!

Thanks for the suggestions. Like I said in my reply to the previouse poster, I need to figure out how to shoot a dark (shiny) dog against white (shiny) snow and make it look like he isn't a silhouete! :lol:

Yeah I had that problem too, mines chocolate, but he's a definate chocolate. I posted mine if you wanna see. You'll need the sun at the side of you guys when your doing pictures, that way it's not behind you or behind him causing the silhouete. :mrgreen:

I believe you need a gray card to help with this...

To help eliminate the "dopey" look, try getting down at their level (which you did until you had the treat). Half the time I am on my stomach or knees to get eye level with them.

I believe you need a gray card to help with this...

To help eliminate the "dopey" look, try getting down at their level (which you did until you had the treat). Half the time I am on my stomach or knees to get eye level with them.

I will have to read up on gray cards. I've heard them talked a lot on this forum, but I've never used one.

This dog isn't mine, he's my "grand-dog". He weighs over 100 lbs easily, and I'm not so sure I want to be down on my knees with a treat in my hand. He likes them too much. He does have manners except when it comes to food, but I hear what you are saying. I think I will just have to have someone else there holding the treat while I take the shot.

He really is a good boy, I hope I didn't make him sound like a monster! He just really likes his chow!

Does anyone like the PP in the first two shots? There really wasn't anything in the background of interest so that's why I chose to take out the color, and I think I like it, but then again ... does it make Snickers look bland? I've been looking at these shots way too long! :)

You would need assistance with this or you'd have a sticky camera, but what the pros used years ago was liverwurst! Its got a strong smell so the animal's attention is drawn to it and if you smear some on their teeth it will get you a super shot of them licking their chops [because its sticky]

Great ideas! Thanks for responding. I'm off to buy some liverwurst!!

Most reactions

Back