What one light setup to buy?

redbourn

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I only started with photography a few months ago and am doing photos for my cookbook.

I bought a Nikon D3300 with a Nikkor 1.8G lens.

Right now I have very good natural light and am pretty pleased with my recent pictures and have uploaded one.

But winter is coming and the light will be going.

blue and chives.jpg

I would like to try the one light setup that's at goo.gl/m2biVJ but he doesn't give any equipment details.

He's doesn't even suggest equipment.

If anyone would tell me in some detail, what to buy, based on his post, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks,

Michael

The light in this shot is quite even, which might not be your favorite for long.

Get a speedlight and a white "shoot-through" umbrella to see what you could come up with.

The light in this shot is quite even, which might not be your favorite for long.

Get a speedlight and a white "shoot-through" umbrella to see what you could come up with.

What else is he using that I should buy?

goo.gl/m2biVJ

Thanks

He is using a softbox, but since they cost more than a small umbrella, that is why I suggested an umbrella. If you've got the money for a softbox, get one that will work with whichever light you intend to use, either rectangular as shown in one shot, or a "brollybox" which is a kind of sofbox built upon the umbrella concept. Either one would give approximately the same results, with some light "spilling" from the ordinary white umbrella.

Did you notice his reflectors? They are merely white foamcore or something similar, and you can find that stuff at most art supply stores.

So that's one light (either unmodified or modified) and one or two panels of white cardboard opposite.

BTW: Did you check the price for the 9 lessons? I did not.

He is using a softbox, but since they cost more than a small umbrella, that is why I suggested an umbrella. If you've got the money for a softbox, either rectangular as shown in one shot, or a "brollybox" which is a kind of sofbox built upon the umbrella concept. Either one would give approximately the same results, with some light "spilling" from the ordinary white umbrella.

Did you notice his reflectors? They are merely white foamcore or something similar, and you can find that stuff at most art supply stores.

So that's one light (either unmodified or modified) and one or two panels of white cardboard opposite.
He is using a softbox, but since they cost more than a small umbrella, that is why I suggested an umbrella. If you've got the money for a softbox, get one that will work with whichever light you intend to use, either rectangular as shown in one shot, or a "brollybox" which is a kind of sofbox built upon the umbrella concept. Either one would give approximately the same results, with some light "spilling" from the ordinary white umbrella.

BTW: Did you check the price for the 9 lessons? I did not.

Thanks.

How about this for $32 and a stand for a white board?

goo.gl/ej1n90

I'm a real newbie at photography.

Michael

The item shown is what is called a "brollybox" with a continuous light. (One that does not flash with the shutter). This would be your "key" light, (the main light) and you then get a sheet of white foamcore for the opposite side. You can cut the foamcore in half and make the "corner" reflector as shown in the pictures.

(edit) I hope you are planning to mount your camera on a tripod. You might need to extend the shutter opening to something like 1/40 second which is too long to hold in your hand.

The item shown is what is called a "brollybox" with a continuous light. (One that does not flash with the shutter). This would be your "key" light, (the main light) and you then get a sheet of white foamcore for the opposite side. You can cut the foamcore in half and make the "corner" reflector as shown in the pictures.

(edit) I hope you are planning to mount your camera on a tripod. You might need to extend the shutter opening to something like 1/40 second which is too long to hold in your hand.
I use a tripod and either the cameras timer or a remote switch. I don't know if there is much difference between the two.

What about this?

goo.gl/8Z98KJ

Many thanks for the feedback!

That is nice, too, but the other one is less expensive. Virtually no difference except for the shape of the light. I doubt if that will make any difference at all in food photography.

Incidentally, besides lighting, which you are working on now, you should begin to pay more attention as to how you pose your dishes.

Look at more examples of good food photography to see how they do it. Besides the light, you should consider the background (tablecloth and everything on the table), the other objects (serving utensils, drink containers, etc.).

Also; your example is cropped very tightly.

That is nice, too, but the other one is less expensive. Virtually no difference except for the shape of the light. I doubt if that will make any difference at all in food photography.

Thanks, I will check shipping costs ..

Incidentally, besides lighting, which you are working on now, you should begin to pay more attention as to how you pose your dishes.

Look at more examples of good food photography to see how they do it. Besides the light, you should consider the background (tablecloth and everything on the table), the other objects (serving utensils, drink containers, etc.).

Food photography is a minefield.

I check shutterstock before shooting a picture, but not many there excite me.

Here is another of mine.

spicy beef stew-2-2.jpg

You could do okay with a single flash, and a home-made 48 x 48 inch frame, made from pieces of PVC pipe and elbow joints, and a couple of pieces of home-made diffusion material attached to the frame. Here is a link. Look down the page to the "download lo-rez" option.... Photoshop Training and Photography Training Tutorials - Software Cinema - Tinkertubes

A flat-faced light source allows you to control the angle of incidence; instead of a curved umbrella or brolly box, a softbox or a diffusing screen creates a light source that has pretty much the same angle of incidence on shiny surfaces, and makes a broader highlight/reflection on many surfaces...it makes the highlights on say a wine bottle more linear, more regular.

Diffusion panels and reflectors made of fabric or of posterboard/foam core board are really pretty common things in the world of photographic lighting, and are very commonly used with both flash lighting, and with natural or ambient light from the sun, sky, or from bulbs of one type or another.

The original article you referenced was basically advocating that one have access to a large, diffused light source, and some type of fill light reflector capability. The diffusion material can be tracing paper,white rip-stop nylon, frosted shower curtain material, etc.. A diffusing panel can be used with any light source.

Actually it's not cropped at all and I have major concerns about my photos because the images in my book will have to be around 7.5 x 7.5"

It's interesting how the public and photographers seem to see things very differently.

I have about 1,200 Facebook friends and get them to critique my photos just to get feedback.

They hate knives and forks in shots and in a recent photos 3 photographer friends prefered a napkin with blue in it whereas 100% on Facebook prefered one with green in it. Same photograph.

I worked in the film industry for 35 years and the question often comes up, "Who are we making the film for?".

I cook two meals, so I only have two chances to get it right, otherwise I have to cook the meal again.

The book is a little different and is more about tips and tricks than about recipes, but I will also have around 20 photos.

And the recipes will hopefully be about as foolproof as is possible.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back