What photo viewing application do you use?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Garbz, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm on the search for a new photo viewing application and I am interested in what people here use?

I have for many years used ACDSee v3. Yes I know v10 is out but v3 was tiny, very light weight, viewed full screen, and changed images with a scroll wheel which is exactly what I needed. Except now I need an application that's colour managed.

Since ACDSee 10 has bloated to a full out image editing program and is still not fully colour managed I'm look for alternatives.

2. jols

jols TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ha ha

some of the stuff you said i dont know what your talking about, but i view my pics on picassa

3. Scurra

Scurra TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use Iview MediaPro3, because it offers a quick method of going through all my raw files.

But I also have a copy of lightroom kicking around somewhere that i'm trying to get to grips with.

4. Renair

Renair TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well i just use normal windows vista gallery as all your doing is viewing them, you dont need anything fancy.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use Irfanview, it's a very lightweight program for viewing image. It can recognize my RAW files and it has some pretty decent batch processing applications. Best of all, it's free.

6. Atropine

Atropine TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I check my raw files (cr2) directly in windows gallery (vista) and pick the ones I like and open them with Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw for further editing. It's simply the most streamlined way for me and it works perfect.

7. TCimages

TCimages TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use the DPP software that came with my Canon. Works very well for my RAWs that at are stored on Networked Attached Storage.

8. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Irfanview again, or ThumbsPlus. I use ThumbsPlus (for years) mostly when viewing. I also use it for file organization on my pictures. I use a base "sort" folder for copying from the camera to the computer, then view in ThumbsPlus to select and move them to individual categorized folders.

9. Garbz

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'll have a look at Infranview, playing with ACDSee Pro2 now which is colour managed but I doubt worth it's insane pricetag.

Did check out thumbsplus which didn't meet my "easy full screen and scrolling" criteria, but the colour management did work well.

Vista Gallery and Windows picture and fax viewer both suffer from "microsoft being half assed" syndrome. They are "colour managed" as the website points out. Which is to say that they obey the colour space of the file so if you open an AdobeRGB file it'll display correctly, but they don't honour the output colour profile. Which means all photos look oversaturated red / green on my screen and any other screen that dares to be good enough to display a wider range of colours.

10. joecap

joecap TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with Big Mike.
    I have used Irfan View for years, there is nothing better for just viewing images.
    It also does easy re-sizing, file conversions, some pretty hefty editing, and supports many Photoshop filters.

11. 68Whiskey

68Whiskey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  12. Garbz

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Bah just my luck. As appealing Irfan View sounds it lacks output colour management just like Windows picture viewer.