What Post-Processing Software to Use?

JonnyBoy6600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering what software do you guys prefer to use to edit your photos, i have been looking at Apples Aperture and Adobes Photoshop Elements 6, just wondering if anyone knew which one was best and just to mention some good/bad factors about these two products. If you have any other suggestions of editing software then please tell me. cheers Jon

Aperture, from what I understand, is more of a 'workflow' software...designed to help you work with a large number of images in an efficient way. Not necessarily a replacement for something like Photoshop. Adobe Lightroom is the same type of software.

Photoshop Elements is basically like Photoshop 'Lite'. It's an image editing program but it doesn't have all the features of the full version of photoshop. It will be good enough for most photographers so I'd certainly recommend it.

It's it's just a hobby, Elements will probably suit you. But I think you'll find yourself limited quickly and wanting to do things the program just won't really allow. I'd recommend getting an old used copy of Photoshop from Ebay or Amazon.com. Just make you're not accidentally purchasing pirated software.

My trial license just ran out on Lightroom... gets a thumbs up and I have to purchase a license.

Prior to lightroom... Capture One.

If this will be your first purchase of software of this type, go with Elements 6.

It's the most you'll get for the money spent. It comes with a free copy of Bridge as well, so you'll have plenty of sorting power initially.

Then if, later on, you realize you need more sorting power, go with Lightroom or Aperture. They're both great at what they do. BUT, since neither of them allows you to create layers (like a real editing package such as Photoshop does), they're not really enough if that's all you have.

The idea is to get functional and literate as quickly as possible, and with the least expense. Elements will do that better than any other single solution ... for less than $100.

Most reactions

Back