What printer?

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What printer do you use? Any recommendations? How about wide format printers? Are they worth the $300+ tag? Are the large prints worth it?

Just testing the waters mainly but lets assume that my budget is $350 or under. Thanks in advance!

I just purchased an HP 8450 - haven't had a chance to print alot, but so far it looks really good...

I print with a Epson PHOTO 960. Coupled with the Photoshop the results are nothing short of amazing. All tolled, the deal was under 300 dollars. The consumables run close to that per year which is a different story.

Generally, I say that the file size dictates the size of the print. Personally, my D1 could not handle anything larger than 8x10.

I use the Canon i860 and love it. It prints very well and is only around $150. They also have a new one that's in your price range that prints wide format, as far as I know.

From what I have read, you will get better quality prints from a printer that has greater number of inks.

I think some of the best ones have 6, 7 or 8 different ink cartridges in them. Some even have an extra black/gray so that you can print better quality B&W prints.

I have no idea about price on those.

Big Mike said:
From what I have read, you will get better quality prints from a printer that has greater number of inks.

I think some of the best ones have 6, 7 or 8 different ink cartridges in them. Some even have an extra black/gray so that you can print better quality B&W prints.

I have no idea about price on those.

The i860 uses four inks for pictures and another for documents. The i960 ($190 US) uses six. Just my personal preference again. :D

Yes from the small amount of printing knowledge I have the 6 color system is the cats meow at the moment. We just got a super sweet Canon 6 color production laser printer at work a couple of months ago. The thing makes awesome reproductions its just too bad they wont let me print all my pics on it :( However a good friend in that department did print a 17x25" from his 4MP Kodak that is unreal. That being said I am pretty sure that my 6.3MP Canon can handle at least 11x17" prints (thus the reason I am looking at wide format)

Don't know, still window shopping though - Christmas is coming up quick you know! :wink:

I use an HP 2200 i think (its the one that prints up to 13x19 prints) I love it, but I rarely use it for photos. by the time you factor in ink usage, etc, its pretty much cheaper to just go get a good print made.

Well, I love my Epson 2200. Great prints and it does up to 13X19. Might be a bit above your budget level, but we use that for all of our client prints with excellent results. I also use Epson Luster paper and LOVE it.

Thanks voodo...I was hoping to find one for about £150...but I need a link or so...could someone help me with a few hundred links? Ta!

Most reactions

Back