What professional photographic societies are you a member of ?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Laaksonen, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Laaksonen

Laaksonen TPF Noob!

What professional photographic societies are you a member of Photographic Society of America, American Society of Media Photographers, National Press Photographers Association, North American Nature Photography Association, The Royal Photographic Society or others. Also a little about why that society or why no professional organizations ?

2. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    None, its an expense I can do without and the only ones worth joining here want a body of work for judgement that I couldn't be bothered to produce just for entrance. H

3. Hooligan Dan

Hooligan Dan No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    San Francisco Bay Area Press Photographers Association and the National Press Photographers Association.

SFBAPPA because it's local and I know many of the photogs who are in it. Also the seminars are free. A big plus. NPPA because it's a great resource.

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    For self-employed professionals, professional association membership usually provides access to group insurance rates, and other money saving perks like member discounts on profession related product purchases.

Professional associations also provide advocacy for the profession at both the state and federal levels.

Here is a link to some of the PPA's member benefits:
    Benefit Details | Professional Photographers of America

Here is a link to the member benefits of NAPP (National Asociation of Photoshop Professionals):
    NAPP Member Benefits | Learn Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Digital Photography | NAPP

Here is a link to the member benefits of the ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers):
    https://asmp.org/articles/member-benefits.html

You should also check out the WPPI (Wedding & Portrait Photographers International): http://www.wppionline.com/Default.aspx

And the SPA (Senior Portrait Artists): spa | senior portrait artists

5. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I plan to join the PPA in the fall when I graduate, and an association here in Portland as well. They appear to be great resources for finding work or networking with studio owners, etc. Also seems like a great place to find assistant jobs to help beef up that resume.