What qualifies one as a photographer?

The MySpace sad girl in the bathroom mirror with a flash bloom to the right of her head is not a photographer...those are exhibitionists.

:lol:!!

Back when I first got into digital, my girlfriend was very wary of even touching the new camera, so I called upon the assistance of the bathroom mirror one evening. I feel so dirty now...

In response to the OP, I feel that if you take pictures with any kind of enthusiasm and are willing to look beyond your immediate natural surroundings (family, pets, computer keyboard) for subjects... that would make you a photographer. Not necessarily a good one, but one none the less. Like any art, for *others* to consider you "good" at it... practice practice practice. Of course, if your name is Christolio (no surname) you could probably make your fame on hype alone.

I go with heathens. A photographer is one who makes images with a camera. There are many levels to this, of course, but the definition is pretty broad.

There is so much truth in that statement that my head exploded, and it's becuase of one word, that for me, changes everything.

A photographer is one who makes images with a camera.
Making is different than taking. Photographers make images becuase they know what they want and how to do it, if they don't they find out how and do it. everyone else takes them and lets them be.

Well, I found this e-mail in my in-box this morning from a dance teacher who has asked me to take some photos in her dance classes in preparation to a big performance she is working on (yet another dance school):

Oh Corinna!

What can I say? My "gut feeling" has not let me down ... I knew I had asked the right person ... !!!!! ;-)

Your attention to detail is amazing.

The "Häppchen" I have seen this evening are just what I have always imagined it could be, given the chance to work with a photographer who has enough energy and sensitivity to "see" or interpret the atmosphere through his camera.... WOW! How lucky am I????? WOOHOO ...

I absolutely love the first picture in the third collage .... the ladies on the floor. Taken from that angle, it is exactly what I had in my mind and says ... GRASSHOPPER! lol.....

Well. What now?
Am I "a photographer" all of a sudden?
I got introduced to the dancers as "a photographer who will accompany us during rehearsals", but ... hm ... actually I still feel like I am just someone "who loves to take photos" :scratch:

But after I have had a number of commissions of late, I feel some shift inside me, some gain of confidence, the funny feeling that maybe I CAN take even good photos?

But am a "a photographer"?

But am a "a photographer"?

I know some will disagree with this, but there is a quote that reoccurs throughout the animated movie "Iron Giant". This quote, along with the whole "Christ Figure" theme, is the main point of the movie:

"You are who you choose to be. YOU choose."

I suppose one who takes pictures for a living is a photographer... Just guessing...

Thats a interesting thought. . .

I take photos all the time but I have never considered myself a photographer, I just tell people I like photography . . .

Ya have to be careful what you try to define here. Photographer is one who takes pictures pure and simple. Ie He isn't much of a photographer. Since he isnt much of one, he is a photographer of sorts. So the act of taking pictures makes anyone a photographer.

After that you get to degress.. Novice... amatuer... advanced amature, simi pro... pro.... artist... famous....retired... dead... they are all just modifiers of photographer.

...yeah, i have all my work in galleries but im not really a pro, if you fly around the world your good to go in my book

I was actually called a photographer by my friend today after showing him a picture I took the other day. But I still don't really think of myself as a real one. I guess that makes me a fake one?

See qualified is your modifier Hertz lol

Let me see I still have two state licenses ... That means I am able to do business in two states as a photographer. So that means I am a pro in the eyes of two states. Not my old customers of course.

I have at least ten court certified instances that I was declared an expert in photography. I am hardly an expert in anything but I could answer the questions the court asked me that day. I couldn't now.

I don't know that any of it does more than just modify the type photographer I was once.

But to be honest most people in the forum situation would say im not much of a photographer but even that is validation that I am some kind of photographer.

I take pictures. Some are good, some not so much.

Does that make me a "photographer"? Don't know, don't care. It's all about the image... not the PERSON who's taking the picture's image, but the pictures themselves.

I think folks are WAY too wrapped up in the social aspect of taking pictures.

The shots are either good, not good or somewhere in between. Place an image on a wall, step back and enjoy... and let others enjoy... the moment frozen forever in time.

Whether that image was taken by somebody society would call a "photographer" or not is absolutely, positively and entirely irrelevant.

IMHO

Most reactions

New Topics

Back