What qualifies one as a photographer?

I have to say it one more time....

Taking pictures means one is operating a camera. Some are better at this than others.

Making photographs means one is a photographer. Some are better at this than others.

Pete

If this is the case then would someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE show me the text book that Ansel Adams used to make the beautiful mountains, waterfalls, forests, valleys and other wonders of nature that he TOOK photographs of? I would like to build a nice mountain here in Kansas with great scenery and a nice ski slope. I would refer back to my origional assesment.

Photographer = Anyone that is smart enough to take the lens cap off, find and press the shutter release and get an image on film or in a digital medium. (Quality does not necessarly count) (If you can not do this then the word IDIOT comes to mind)

Professional Photographer = See above and add "The ability to sell your photographs to someone." (Obviously the idea of some one being a Professional Photographer does not necessarly impress me)

Accomplished Photographer = That rare breed of individual that not only has the technical abilities to operate the equipment to it's fullest but has that sense of insight and composition and that inate ability to combine the two into not only a technically pleasing, but soul stiring image that grabs the viewer and touches them to their very being. This is a rare and treasured breed. (These are the people that impress, inspire and motovate me to try in some little way to improve my photography. Thank you Ansel, Annie, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Mary Ellen Mark, Yousuf Karsh, Gordon Parks and all of you who inspire me.)

Upon further reflection, I have decided that everybody who uses a Nikon is a photographer, and everybody who doesn't, isn't...

Upon further reflection, I have decided that everybody who uses a Nikon is a photographer, and everybody who doesn't, isn't...

Brilliant. I do believe we have come to the final, solid, and conclusive answer to this question. :lol:

I should probably mentioned before I am pummeled that I actually use Canon - so that is the most politically-incorrect statement I have made as of yet. (If Nikon and Canon can possibly be political)

Hertz has met the 8700 post and I lived to see it.

If this is the case then would someone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE show me the text book that Ansel Adams used to make the beautiful mountains, waterfalls, forests, valleys and other wonders of nature that he TOOK photographs of?

No need to build mountains. Just follow Ansel's example. Go to a mountain, select a location for the camera, choose the time of day... time of year, settle on appropriate gear... camera, lens, filters..., determine the combination of exposure time, film, chemistry, and technique... and...

bring a Nikon.

Remember... be kind to banannas. They bruise easily.

With Bananas and Photographers, its the ego that bruises first. Mine most of all.

Real photographers Drink strong black coffee, which they brewed themselves, laced with rum they paid for themselves, in a small, cold in the winter, hot in the summer dark room, while they wait for their film to soup.

Now there is an image to haunt you.

Sometimes people ask me what I do for a living. When I tell them I am a photographer they will usually say something like,"Wow, that must be cool or fun, etc..."

Then I think, well, if they only knew.

However, sometimes it feels as though I have not had a real job in over 30 years.:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back