What sets cameras apart?

eravedesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Suppose you look at a D50 and a Olympus e-300 or a Cannon Digital Rebel XT.
What makes one camera better than the other?
Is it the megapixles?
Its shape?
Its max shutter speed?

For a general buyer how do you tell which one is better?

Thanks
-Phil

That's kind of like asking which hammer is better.

They are all just tools, they might have different features...but if the features fit the job that you are doing...then it will work for you. If you need a specific feature that one camera has...then you might lean toward that one. But that does not make one necessarily better than the others.

As a general buyer, I think the best thing you can do...is to hold and try out each camera. Find out which one feels best to you, are the controls easy to reach and adjust?

You can compare them head to head at www.dpreview.com and if check the magazines...there have been many, many comparisons of DLRS in that price range.

eravedesigns said:
Suppose you look at a D50 and a Olympus e-300 or a Cannon Digital Rebel XT.
What makes one camera better than the other?
Is it the megapixles?
Its shape?
Its max shutter speed?

For a general buyer how do you tell which one is better?

Thanks
-Phil

They are all different, but the word "better" is tricky. "Better for what?" is the obvious question.

what do you need it for? are you looking for any particular features?

from the questions you're asking, it seems that you are not looking for anything in particular. perhaps a DSLR is not suitable. if you have to ask these questions, then maybe a mid-level consumer camera will suit your needs just fine. you will save alot of money too, as you may not use all the features of a DSLR.

Anyways, go to a good camera store, let a sales rep help you decide your needs. you will be able to get alot more info like that.

Well I have a SLR camera now. I want the abiltiy to change apeture and shutter speed and still have my images in digital so that is why I want to get a DSLR. I really dont know what I want to shoot but mainly outdoor stuff like ocean and trees + snow.

what SLR camera do you have now? If it's the same brand as any of the ones you mentioned, you can use the current equipment that goes with your film SLR on the new digital SLR you will be getting...that is, if it's not super duper old.

Think about your needs and practicality. Those two things apply to almost everything in this world.

eravedesigns said:
Well I have a SLR camera now. I want the abiltiy to change apeture and shutter speed and still have my images in digital so that is why I want to get a DSLR. I really dont know what I want to shoot but mainly outdoor stuff like ocean and trees + snow.

That should help your decision. If you have a newer (or older compatible) system...then it would make perfect sense to get the same brand of DSLR.

Nikon has compatibility going back quite a while. Canon DSLR cameras are compatible with all lenses for their EOS (autofocus) cameras. Pentax may have the same mount as older pentax lenses (don't know for sure).

A lot of us still have our old film SLR cameras and even use them from time to time. It's nice to have ability to use all my lenses on either my film or digital body (all except the digital Kit lens EF-S)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back