what setting do i need

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by coonsanders, Jul 16, 2009.

1. coonsanders

coonsanders TPF Noob!

hi
    i just goi a new promaster 35 mm camera and my question is using 400 color film and
    i just want to take a picture of someone what settings should i use?thanks.

coonsanders

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Welcome to the world of cameras, shutters, apertures and ISOs!

My best advice for you is to get this book " Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's a book many here have (and still do) read and it will help you a lot in understanding how the 3 settings interact with each other to give you a proper exposure, as well as what a proper exposure is whilst also imparting some creative ideas as well. Its well worth getting and will go into more depth (whilst still being aimed at learners) than most internet posts will.

3. coonsanders

coonsanders TPF Noob!

hi
    o ok thanks over...

coonsanders

4. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The right one :D

5. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well there isn't a single answer to your question. The settings you will use will depend on 3 factors: the amount of light available, the subject you want to shoot (for example, is it a fast moving subject or do you want to shoot a portrait of a person standing still?) and the depth of field (the area of your picture that will appear in focus in your shot) you are after. Changing ISO, shutter speed and/or aperture will change the exposure but also the way your picture will look. Follow Overread's advice to understand the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture and how each setting will affect your image. These are the basics of photography and you need to understand them (and it is not not that hard to understand) if you want to be in control.