What settings give you the blured background

i was just trying to take a photo of my hubby's new ring..i wasn't trying to make it perfect and then when i took this photo NOT INTENDING TO DO THE BLURRED BACKGROUND it happened.
i had the f stop on 2.8 which is lowest i can go and i dont know what my shutter speed was at...

here is a better picture of it...sharpened and brightened up a bit

DSC09951-1.jpg

i was just trying to take a photo of my hubby's new ring..i wasn't trying to make it perfect and then when i took this photo NOT INTENDING TO DO THE BLURRED BACKGROUND it happened.
i had the f stop on 2.8 which is lowest i can go and i dont know what my shutter speed was at...

Actually, you had the aperture set to F/3.2 and your exposure time was 1/30th of a second according to KUSO EXIF viewer.

You did it... well done! :)

The aperture decides if the background is blurry or not. If it is a low number it will blur, if it is a larger number like F/7 or greater, it will have less to no bokeh (blurring).

how do you know what all the settings were.

you know i think you are right about the 3.2 f stop or not since i know some of my settings only go down to 3.2 and some 2.8

how do i find out what my settings were?

Exif data is saved with the photo files. Exif data is your camera settings. On most of the graphical software I have (Thumbsplus, Irfanview, PSP7, etc) you can choose File menu>properties or show exif or similar and view it.

Also, there are some programs that I've seen that is specifically for viewing exif data. I know there is a program and a Firefox plug-in that allows you to see exif data from pics right in your browser on forums such as this. I haven't installed that yet, but am planning to.

Whoohoo! Been here a week and I'm able to answer a question! :D

how do you know what all the settings were.

you know i think you are right about the 3.2 f stop or not since i know some of my settings only go down to 3.2 and some 2.8

how do i find out what my settings were?

It freaked me out the first time someone did that to me... :lol:

Most cameras include this info when you take any picture. This is called EXIF data. I can even tell that you used PS CS2 to edit this picture with (page #2 of 4 pages displayed)!

teresa_exif.jpg

There are many EXIF readers out there that you import a picture and it gives me the data. If you google EXIF READERS you will find many chocies.

i dont have PS...or anything like that.
all i have is paint and microsoft digital image pro 9

but i think hubby got me a new SLR camera and adobe photoshop for christmas...here is only hoping

so theoretically (or not so theoretically) speaking, if i was 20 ft from my subject at 2.8, he/she would be in focus while the tree 50 ft. away would be blurry?

It freaked me out the first time someone did that to me... :lol:

Most cameras include this info when you take any picture. This is called EXIF data. I can even tell that you used PS CS2 to edit this picture with (page #2 of 4 pages displayed)!

There are many EXIF readers out there that you import a picture and it gives me the data. If you google EXIF READERS you will find many chocies.

Am I the only one who can see this data without a reader? If I right-click on a file in Windows Explorer and select properties, then from the properties window, go to the "Summary" tab, then select "Advanced" it all shows up. Aperture, Shutter Speed, etc. I've been doing this for years to read the ID3 tags in MP3s.

canon 50mm 1.8 set at 2.5:

IMG_0593.jpg

notice the distance between the subject and the background

Even if you don't get the results you want, just cheat and use photoshop. LOL! Here's a pic of a friend's kid at a baby shower party.

Using Nikon D80 at 135mm, f5.6

2532410667_ed02913eb1.jpg

I initially didn't get what I wanted so I just tweaked it a little, applied a little gaussian blur and B&W'd the background.

Am I the only one who can see this data without a reader? If I right-click on a file in Windows Explorer and select properties, then from the properties window, go to the "Summary" tab, then select "Advanced" it all shows up. Aperture, Shutter Speed, etc. I've been doing this for years to read the ID3 tags in MP3s.
Why download the picture just to look at the EXIF though? I use the EXIF Viewer extension for firefox, all you have to do with that is right-click on the picture and select "view exif".

so theoretically (or not so theoretically) speaking, if i was 20 ft from my subject at 2.8, he/she would be in focus while the tree 50 ft. away would be blurry?

reposting my question before this thread gets buried again

Why download the picture just to look at the EXIF though? I use the EXIF Viewer extension for firefox, all you have to do with that is right-click on the picture and select "view exif".

Cool idea. I'll have to look into that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back