What setup do you have ?

ramblingman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've seen this threat on another forum and found it quit interesting and helpful to me ... I don't have a pic as of yet but will add here is possible in future ...but I have a simple setup that consist of a Nikon D90 ....SB 400 or 600 flash with omni defuser ...an extention arm I bought at a yard sale and the SC-28 flash sync cord ....seems to work good when I do use it but I seem to be out in the sun alot so I have had a love of need for it and I usually shoot flowers ...it's been a hot summer and the bugs don't seem to be out this year ....thanks for reading and if you like follow up with your setup with some pictures please !

Are you asking what set-up one uses for macro photography?
-
Shoot well, Joe

Last edited:
I think he is asking, "in general"

No pics for me yet but I might make a few later.

I'm using a Nikon D7000 with the 105mm nikon micro lens.
For lighting I have the SB-R1C1 set which is very versatile and can be used in all kinds of ways.
Basically it's 2 flashes which are controlled by a separate control unit on the camera. The set also has a special mounting ring so you can mount the flashes at the front of your lens (sort of like a ring light but with, in my opinion, better results).

Yes I'm asking what marco setup you use ......... it can be a fun thread seeing what others use!

Nikon D300s, Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX DG HSM APO IF. I'm going to be getting the Nikon R1 flash setup sooner or later to add to it as well. I may trade the 180 for the Sigma 150/2.8OS as well.m

IN the mean time U could try my SC 28 flash sync cord and a SB Flash if you have one ...works great ...I have the 150mm sigma without OS but love it just the same!

I don't like the non-directional lighting you get from mounting the flash on the hotshoe for macro. And I'm not quite good enough to hold the flash and diffuser where I want it, and still hold the gripped D300s with Sigma 180mm Macro lens still to take the shot with the flash off-camera. :lol:

Mark

Full flash shot:

40D, MPE65, MT24EX with DIY Diffuser:

4439128867_af17dd62de_z.jpg

Sample shot:

5151377276_52ccd9e05d_z.jpg

More info here: New Diffuser for the MT-24EX, again! | Up Close with Nature

For natural light shot, I use the Sigma 150 and 1.4x Teleconverter.

Last edited:
Only just got the bracket back from the Laser Cutter so haven't had a chance to try this setup out (other than random items on desk). Still need to make a diffuser for the flash as well.

Photo_0316 by tyler_s_hamilton, on Flickr

Sorry about the poor picture quality, but my "backup camera" is my phone.

530 dg super flash on a bendy armed bracket. then i have a 24mm and a 50mm that i reverse on some extension tubes i have three sets of tubes.

Most reactions

Back