What Shooting Mode Do You Use ?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by tkaat, Jul 11, 2008.

?

What Mode Do You Shoot In

  1. Auto

    8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  2. Manual

    50 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. Shutter priority

    14 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. Aperture priority

    41 vote(s)
    50.6%
  5. Other

    8 vote(s)
    9.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkaat
    Offline

    tkaat New Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2008
    Messages:
    307
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    On a Island
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    okay this has been bugging me since I saw a survey a few weeks back on the shooting modes different people use. Most shot mostly in auto (no surprise there) but out of like the 15000 (maybe exaggerating a little) less than 200 shoot in manual.
    I, myself, shoot in manual on any camera I used unless I was in a hurry. And since then I have been trying other modes like Aperture priority, program and shutter priority.

    My Question is what mode do you mostly shoot in.
    You don't have to write a sentence just the mode (if you want the reason also)
  2. AmberBella
    Offline

    AmberBella New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Messages:
    48
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Southern CA
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I shoot 90% manual. The other 10% goes between Tv and Av...depending on the lighting.
  3. icassell
    Offline

    icassell New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    Messages:
    9,893
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Arizona
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    The question does not make alot of sense to me. I would think alot of us choose the mode depending on the shooting situation. I will use Aperture or Shutter priority or Manual depending on what I am imaging.
  4. Phazan
    Offline

    Phazan New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2006
    Messages:
    737
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Bay Area, California
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Av, Tv, M, and P for general shooting..It depends on my situation...
  5. LaFoto
    Online

    LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2004
    Messages:
    34,752
    Likes Received:
    765
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Lower Saxony, Germany
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +767 / 0
    I can clearly state that I shoot MOST all manually.

    For the swim meet documentation I decided (for ONCE) to go to AV mode to maintain a DOF deep enough for zoomed-in photos and be QUICK-QUICK-QUICK (which was essential).

    For a stage performance I once decided for TV mode so the camera'd not expose for any longer than 1/100 second.

    But other than that ... manual.
  6. Big Mike
    Offline

    Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2003
    Messages:
    33,509
    Likes Received:
    1,719
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    Edmonton
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,723 / 0
    Manual when using flash, which is fairly often...and either M or Av when not using flash.
  7. dEARlEADER
    Offline

    dEARlEADER New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1,312
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Canada
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    P S A M
  8. Bifurcator
    Offline

    Bifurcator New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2008
    Messages:
    3,312
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Japan
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Most often? Probably manual but I change allot and on the fly. There needs to be an "All of the above" vote option. :D
  9. caspertodd
    Offline

    caspertodd New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2008
    Messages:
    436
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If I have a little control over the lighting, then manual. If the lighting keeps changing, then Av. If I am trying to show or stop motion, Tv.

    ^^^ All in Canon terms ;)
  10. John_Olexa
    Offline

    John_Olexa Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2008
    Messages:
    416
    Likes Received:
    38
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Maryland
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Glad to see no Autos on this board!! :lmao: I checked Aperture priority.

    Break down. about:
    75% Aperture priority
    25% Manual
  11. Joves
    Offline

    Joves New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2007
    Messages:
    2,322
    Likes Received:
    13
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Flagstaff/Az
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Im in the all of the above group, except for the Auto mode. If I want to shoot Auto then I will go to P&S cameras.
  12. frXnz kafka
    Offline

    frXnz kafka New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2007
    Messages:
    517
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Maine
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    80% of the time I use manual. The other 20% I use aperture priority.
  13. Easy_Target
    Offline

    Easy_Target New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2007
    Messages:
    380
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Manually, although if I'm feeling lazy automatic.
  14. Chris of Arabia
    Offline

    Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988...

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2007
    Messages:
    7,825
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    The Magic Kingdom
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Just curious, but why does it matter what someone else uses?
  15. elemental
    Offline

    elemental New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    Messages:
    614
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Finally.





    I honestly think it's part of the development of the new "serious" photographer:

    Stage one: Full auto, bad pictures
    Stage two: Rebellion against any automation, belief that full manual is the only choice for "real" or "pro" photographers
    Stage three: Realization that the camera is simply a tool to capture images, and that what you get matters more than how you get it

    I started in serious photography with a digital SLR. I went through these phases. I now use everything from said digital (usually on aperture priority) to a fully manual 35mm SLR to an old rangefinder from 1963 (okay, that's getting sent back, but you get the point). It doesn't matter what settings you use. It matters what your images look like.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  16. dEARlEADER
    Offline

    dEARlEADER New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1,312
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Canada
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    well.... because you could be useless at photography and say that you use manual only and it instantly makes you coooler....

    it boils down like this

    i could use aperture priority and decide to use F9 and let the camera pick the shutter speed for me.. and that would be kinda cool...

    or

    i could use manual and decide to use F9 and fumble with the meter to get the same shutter speed.... and that makes me REALLY COOL.....
  17. davebmck
    Offline

    davebmck New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2008
    Messages:
    676
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Waxhaw, NC
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mostly manual, occasionally AV or TV.
  18. reg
    Offline

    reg New Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    1,487
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    ^^^^^
  19. sabbath999
    Offline

    sabbath999 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,591
    Likes Received:
    10
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Missouri
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Not counting non-iTTL multi flash stuff (which is the ONLY time I shoot manual) I shoot either aperture or shutter priority. P drives me nuts. My camera doesn't have a "green idiot button" on it.

    I see no reason to shoot in full manual except for when doing non-dedicated flash work...

    I mean, if I am controlling the aperture, and using the camera's internal meter, then why on earth would I have to manually set the shutter speed as well? It is simply a wasted step, life's too short.

    If the meter gets it wrong, then I fix the exposure... but that's about 1 percent of the time.
  20. mrodgers
    Offline

    mrodgers New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2007
    Messages:
    1,662
    Likes Received:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The majority will call my camera a P&S and I shoot manual 95% of the time. The other 5% would be Aperture priority.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page