What should I do??? Photoshoot coming up! I'm still noob

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by danman281, Nov 14, 2008.

1. danman281

danman281 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This girl wants me to take pictures of her. I said yes and offered to do it for free since I want to learn!

She is a dancer, pretty good looking too ;)
    but I don't know where I should go to take the picture. I have taken a couple of shots of her before because I was in the area, and they turned out good. She knows how to pose and stuff. Where should I do the photoshoot at? a park? I don't own a studio or anything. She wants the pictures for her "dance profile"? idk any tips would be nice too

2. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    The term "dancer" conjures up several images. Best choose a setting that matches the type of dancer she is.

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    hmm does she have access to a gym or dance practice room?
    Although it means dealing with indoor lighting (and possibly a lot of reflective glass in a dancing practice room) it would at least provided a good professional background for dance - also not distracting from the subject.

As for outside whatever you pick try to make sure that the background is not full of distractions (ie don't forget to take your eye off the dancer when setting up).
    Aside from that forsettings you might find that either full manual mode or shutter priority mode will be the best - it depends if she is doing motion moves that you have to capture or if its static posing - where aperture prioity mode would help.

edit - also note some advice in this thread:
    http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145152
    though its a different subject its a similar state - ie a beginner offering photography services

4. danman281

danman281 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    She personally doesn't have one, but I just remembered we have a very good dance studio in my school. Thanks for the advice. I really hope that it goes well because I don't want to bring her there and have a bunch of crappy pictures lol

and yes, "dancer" really does conjure different images