What should i do

I can't even agree that the t3i or t4i are more than slight slight upgrades.

Absolutely. My grandpa shoots a t3, I've got a t1i. Bought the t1i when it first came out, love it. But honestly, there is little difference in image quality between either camera. I have stuck some L glass on my T1i though, the images were absolutely fantastic. Super clear, super sharp, incredible color and contrast... glass is the way to go. Certainly, an upgrade to a prosumer or pro level body in the future will give you some advantages, but it would be a silly investment if you don't have good glass. Like putting the cart before the horse.

That's what I'm in the process of doing. Looking at a couple of L primes to start with, then a couple L zooms, THEN I'd like to upgrade the body. The way I look at it, I can improve image quality with new glass, and that new glass can come with me to a new body and increase versatility. As long as I can continue to improve image quality, and as long as it provides the features I need for the shooting I do, I'll use my T1i. When I can no longer increase image quality with new lenses or equipment, or when I venture into an area of photography that I need new features for, then I'll invest in a body!

Get a T4i, a significant upgrade. Keep the 50 f1.8. Consider replacing the 70-300 with the 70-200 f4L

John27 said:
A T3 isn't going to substantially increase your image quality. Some nice L glass will, however. Then, once you have enough glass to really have sharp images, upgrade the body! Also, if you are going to upgrade the body, don't go incremental, go up! At the very least, go up to a t3i or t4i, though if I were in your shoes, I'd invest in some L Glass then upgrade to a 7D when I could afford it. You'll be sorely disappointed when you find that you spent several hundred dollars on a new camera body only to find you can't really tell the difference in image quality!

A t3 would be a better investment than an XSi if you didn't have a camera. Upgrading from an XSi however, not so much.

Save your pennies. The $400 that a new t3 costs could go towards some nice used L glass. Trust me, you'll get much better images through good glass, much more of an image quality upgrade than a new body.

Now, if there is a feature on the t3 that you just NEED, then perhaps, but you WON'T be increasing your image quality.

Thanks!! Helped a lot.

The biggest downside to the XSi is it's 1600 max ISO. That and it doesn't shoot video, which may or may not be an issue.

Video doesn't matter to me. Iv'e had this camera for a long time and now that you told me I went to look at my camera because I hadn't noticed it didn't. (That's how much I don't care) :lol: I don't video :)

Video doesn't matter to me. Iv'e had this camera for a long time and now that you told me I went to look at my camera because I hadn't noticed it didn't. (That's how much I don't care) :lol: I don't video :)

I'm with ya. To be perfectly honest I prefer my iPhone for video over my T1i. Audio quality is about the same, obviously the image is much sharper with the T1i but, then you deal with focusing, noise of me messing with it and focusing it, etc. etc. A camcorder would be even better but, a vanilla DSLR without all of the accessories to make it a capable video machine, in my humble opinion, doesn't take great video.

Sharp and capable yes, but the focus issue is a huge detriment that can make a less-capable video recorder actually end up with a better product. My opinion anyway! I have used it for a few more 'fixed' shots though. Worked good sitting on a tripod when my little sister was in a high school talent show and I filmed her there, but she was in one spot the entire time, so super easy to focus... only need to do it once!

I shot on my XSI for years. I got the 50 1.4 before I upgraded my body. And when I did, I saved money and actually upgraded. You don't need to drop 3k just to upgrade the body. I love my 60D.

You can pump out amazing photos with an XSI. The lens helps the most IMO. Sounds like you're itching to spend money. I would say, either get the 50mm or save the lens for a better camera.

Was going to say if you're going to stay with the Rebel line, get the T4i as it has a better AF system than the other Rebel cameras. In reality, gear doesn't mean much if a person does not know how to use it. But like others have said, glass is very important.

Also, you never messaged me on POTN about using my 10% Amazon discount. LOL. I assumed you bought a 50mm 1.4 lens, so I gave it to someone else.

07Vios said:
Was going to say if you're going to stay with the Rebel line, get the T4i as it has a better AF system than the other Rebel cameras. In reality, gear doesn't mean much if a person does not know how to use it. But like others have said, glass is very important.

Also, you never messaged me on POTN about using my 10% Amazon discount. LOL. I assumed you bought a 50mm 1.4 lens, so I gave it to someone else.

I'm thinking going 60D... or t4i...
and I did buy one, thank you though. Very generous. :)

I see that your 50mm f/1.4 Canon EF + lens hood arrived today!!! Congratulations! The Canon 50/1.4 is a fine lens. It shoots a very "pretty" image for a 50mm lens. Good bokeh! Just an all-around nice imager.

Derrel said:
I see that your 50mm f/1.4 Canon EF + lens hood arrived today!!! Congratulations! The Canon 50/1.4 is a fine lens. It shoots a very "pretty" image for a 50mm lens. Good bokeh! Just an all-around nice imager.

Thank you! Yes it did. Very excited! For the price of the lens I think it has very good quality!
Do you have one? :)

07Vios said:

I'm thinking going 60D... or t4i...
and I did buy one, thank you though. Very generous. :)

No problem ;)

Most reactions

Back