What should I do?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Uselessdreamer1, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Uselessdreamer1

Uselessdreamer1 TPF Noob!

I have come upon a delimma my friends. I have the choice of either getting a Digital rebel xt or a nice 35mm camera. I was thinking the canon elan ne or something along those lines. I will be going to college next year to pursue my dream in being a photographer. To do this I will need the equitment. If I have the right impression of college photography, most of it is done with 35mm cameras. But with having a digital I will be able to cut back on film. SO please help me clairify what would be the smartest thing to do?

2. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    for the price of the 350d, you could buy a heck of a nice used 35mm camera (eos 1v, for instance). Now when courses require a 35mm camera, they usually want you to just use it completely in manual (except for say, a meter), so you wont really need all the features of a nice 35mm slr. I say buy the 350d and get an old manual 35mm slr and a solid 50mm lens. you can great ones on ebay for under 100 bucks, some even less than 50.

3. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

If your going to be taking photo classes, you will need a film camera. But, why not look for something like a pentax K1000 for the classes and get the Rebel. The pentax wont cost you more than $100 and most likely, alot less.

4. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

Doh, you beat me to it. :D

5. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ditto what kevin said, the k1000 is a great choice. so is the canon ae-1. basically any of them will do great. when it comes to image quality on film, cameras hardly matter, it's much more dependent on the lens.

6. Uselessdreamer1

Uselessdreamer1 TPF Noob!

i have had someone offer me a k2 body(only a month old) and a vertical grip for 130.

7. uberben

uberben TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I bought my canon ft ql with 3 FL lenses for 50 bucks at an estate sale a little over a year ago. It had been carefully taken care of by the deceased owner. I used it for 2 college photo courses and learned a ton on it. I only have it now for sentimental value as I have a 300d and use that all the time.