What should I get next?

El Gabito

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Nikon D50, with the 18-55mm lens. I am looking to purchase the 70-300mm lens, and the sb-600 speedlight.

What should I get next, or in lieu of the above items?

A 50mm lens.

What kind of photography do you enjoy (i.e portraits, nature, etc)?

Everything. I'd like to get into taking some portraits, but I enjoy nature shots, I also like "sports" shots, motorsports primarily.

a bigger memory card...regardless of what you have now....'cause you'll always run out of space...

....and of course photoshop or similar....otherwise your not taking the real advantage of digital technology

A good quality tripod. Like a bogen or gitzo. You will definitely need it if you want to shoot sharp shots when shooting at 300mm.

Stay away from that 70-300. I have talked to a lot of people with one, and none of them are happy with it. Instead, may I suggest the Nikon/Nikkor 75-300 4.5/5.6 AF lens. It's very very well built, and sharp as a tack. They are out of production, but you can pick them up used on eBay. Just make sure the glass is perfect.

clarinetJWD said:
Stay away from that 70-300. I have talked to a lot of people with one, and none of them are happy with it. Instead, may I suggest the Nikon/Nikkor 75-300 4.5/5.6 AF lens. It's very very well built, and sharp as a tack. They are out of production, but you can pick them up used on eBay. Just make sure the glass is perfect.

The 70-300 is a film lens, correct? What would it be on a digital? I've been looking around on ebay, and they are going for just over $200, which seems reasonable. Makes me nervous about the glass though.

Anyone bought used stuff from B&H or Adorama?

I have a crappy tripod (I think it was made for camcorders), that will work for now. I would like to get a nicer one, but that will have to wait (why are they so expensive anyway).

After reading more, I think I will probably get a 50mm. Another memory card is in the works as well. I think prices have come down, Sandisk Ultra II 2GB are about $80 now.

Thanks for the input. Any further suggestions are welcome.

Appears as though the 70-300 is about 105-450... is that correct?

Anyone have experience with the 70-210mm D lens? Seems a bit pricier, but supposedly superior in speed and an ideal digital lens.

El Gabito said:
Appears as though the 70-300 is about 105-450... is that correct?

Anyone have experience with the 70-210mm D lens? Seems a bit pricier, but supposedly superior in speed and an ideal digital lens.

The field of view is narrower, giving the same width of shot as a 105-400, but it won't have the same magnification as a 105-400, just less "picture" than a 70-300 on film.

Rob

Just my opinion… But I would purchase a solidly built tripod and head. A Bogan 3021 and Bogan 3047 (tripod/head) can be purchased on eBay fairly inexpensively and will likely be the only tripod/head you will ever have to buy, as Bogan builds nearly bulletproof products.

Take a few months learning your new camera before rushing out to buy new lenses… The time spent learning the camera will give you a much better idea of what you wish to accomplish… You’ll be able to make a much wiser lens purchase with this experience.

On the other hand, if money is no object… Umm, where is my B&H catalog??

Rob said:
The field of view is narrower, giving the same width of shot as a 105-400, but it won't have the same magnification as a 105-400, just less "picture" than a 70-300 on film.

Rob

I don't get this? Is there somewhere that explains it better? Sorry for being a noob.

I will let someone else give you the technical answer for that question, but I believe it is due to the sensor size.

I heard that a 50 mm would be equivelent to a 33 mm on a DSLR? I want to get a 50 prime, but I dont want to have any magnification. I have heard the 50 is more like a 70 in a DSLR? Or will it basically be like a slightly cropped 50 on film?

Most reactions

Back