What should I get?

GreenSlime89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photo.ecopetition.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Right, here's the story: I've got a holiday in Spain coming up on the 7th of June. The problem is I've got my 20D with my 50mm EF F/1.8 and only a 512MB CF card. That's not gonna hold a weeks worth of photos. So I'm after a bigger card and I've got filters for my old camera (55mm thread) including an ND filter, which I'll need as I'm planning on long exposures of the sea. I'll get that back, but my circular polariser won't fit on the lens, but could I still use it for some shots when its on my tripod?
So here's what I'm after: what size of card should I get. I could afford up to 2GB card but that's all I'd go up to. So should I get 2GB card which is quite slow with the write times (5MB/s) or should I buy the 2GB card with 10MB/s write times? I'm not really after quick write times so I'm not too interested in paying extra money that I can barely afford (after buying my camera and lens, my savings have dwindled). Should I buy an ND filter and circular polariser to fit the lens I have when I have ones that are bigger than the lens itself? Can I use them still?

On a security note, should I carry ALL my photographic equipment as hand luggage or is it safe enough to put it through with my baggage? I'm talking the cards too, I remember with film I had to ask the customs people to let me through without it going through the x-ray, exposing it. However, I'm 100% digital now and I don't know what the effects of x-rays are on my camera and the cards. Should I ask the customs to check my cards and camera aren't (dare I say it in the airport) bombs?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

See if you can get a step-up (or would it be step-down? :s ) ring for the filters; they don't cost much and will save you buying new filters for now.

Personally I would always carry my photo gear as hand luggage. Unless you have a hard case and insurance, it's not worth the risk of having it stolen or broken.

See if you can get a step-up (or would it be step-down? :s ) ring for the filters; they don't cost much and will save you buying new filters for now.

Personally I would always carry my photo gear as hand luggage. Unless you have a hard case and insurance, it's not worth the risk of having it stolen or broken.

Any advice with the security? You know, putting my stuff through X-ray?

The X-Ray shouldn't be a problem. I don't think any of the equipment should interfere with your CF cards... but since that's the most important thing (ie you don't want to lose all the images) you might as well ask them not to not put the CF cards through the scanner... I know airport staff are particularly cautious now but I can't see them viewing a little CF card as a security risk.

As for the ring... try this, or this, or this (in order of descending price)... I wasn't thinking before - you want a step-up ring, not a step-down.

Oh, and take your gear hand luggage, haven't heard of any bad effects of CF cards and x-ray, but you could always just stick it through with your keys and things in the tray

Personally anytime I fly (wich is rare) I always take my camera in my carryon luggage. I have spent too much money on my camera gear to trust it in the hands of others who have no idea what is in there (nor should they care).

Right, here's the story: I've got a holiday in Spain coming up on the 7th of June. The problem is I've got my 20D with my 50mm EF F/1.8

I could survive with this and a wide angle prime shorter than 20mm.

and only a 512MB CF card. That's not gonna hold a weeks worth of photos.

4 GByte CF cards are best value for money at the moment (in terms of price per image). If a 20 D can handle 4 GB cards I would go for those if affordable. The price drop in recent months was very dramatic ...

On a security note, should I carry ALL my photographic equipment as hand luggage or is it safe enough to put it through with my baggage? I'm talking the cards too, I remember with film I had to ask the customs people to let me through without it going through the x-ray, exposing it.

everything is safer in the hand luggage. The remaining baggage is screened by x-rays as well, sometimes more intensely if they think something is suspicious. Those airport xrays should have no effect on CF cards anyway though.

Anything which is glass/optical device or electronics I would always take as hand luggage.

tripods do well in suitcases though.

Most reactions

Back