What should my first medium format camera be?

dav305z

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been shooting with a Nikon F3 for two years and might be interested in trying medium format. I'm looking for something with the same basic qualities as my Nikon--tough, unadorned, and relatively cheap. I'd like to keep it under $500. I shoot mostly color and mostly cars, but I've been dipping into black and white city photography.

Recommendations?

few weeks ago i saw a mamiya 645 with 80mm f2.8, 50mm f/2.8, and 200mm f/4 lenses for $275.
I had a mamiya 645 1000s years ago and loved it.

if you want something more like a hasselblad design with removable film backs, look for a Kiev 88.
its like a russian hassy.

Pentax 6x7
Mamiya twin lens
Mamiya RB
Rolleiflex
Yashica twin lens

Examples of above should show up in your price range.

Joe

Bronica SQ-A is also cheap.

Most twin lens reflex cameras can be obtained pretty cheap ... I've owned a number of them.

Rollieflex's are over priced, get a Minolta Autocord.

I was gonna say, Bronica SQ-A or SQ-Ai are good cameras, affordable. The lenses have nice bokeh, and each lens has a Seiko shutter in it. If you want to be able to shoot cars, something with a semi-wide angle lens at least would be useful in many situations, which sort of eliminates the twin-lens reflex cameras from consideration. The SQ series has a 645 back available, but it shoots "talls", so you if you wanted to shoot horizoatally-composed shots using a 645 back, you would probably want a 1) an eye-level viewfinder prism and 2) a handgrip, in order to be able to easily handle the camera when framing "wides".

If you mostly want to shoot horizontals, the Mamiya 645 line might make a lot of sense.

I shoot cars and street with 645/6x6/6x7 and use my Mamiya 645 Super and Mamiya RB67 Pro S kits most often. The Mamiya 645 Super/Pro/ProTL are obviously the most compact and 35mm-like. Film backs allow mid-roll changes(skip the earlier Mamiya 645 that used inserts, not film backs). Easy to shoot on a monopod for extra stability. Lenses like the 80/2.8 and 55/2.8 are pin-sharp and affordable. Get a winder grip since the ergonomics suck without one. The big Mamiya is great for cars since bellows focusing allows for tight shots with the standard 90/3.8. I leave mine on a Manfrotto 055 and carry both as a unit--not as awkward as it might seem. The WLF covers most shots but a prism finder makes shooting from higher angles possible. The rotating back makes landscape to portrait shifts easy without flipping the body. Rarely shoot my Bronica SQ-B 6x6 for anything but portraits. Overall, buy the newest, lowest mileage MF gear you can afford and skip relics like old TLRs and cheap beaters.

I have owned in the last two years 2 Yashica D's, 1 original Yashica Mat, a Yashica Mat 124G, 2 Bronica S2's, Mamiya 645 1000s, Kiev 60, Mamiya RB67 Pro S, Koni Omega, 3 Zeiss Ikon folders, and probably a few more I can't think of. The RB67 with the 90mm lens was by far my favorite a little heavy but my favorite, second place would go to either the 645 or the Yashica Mat 124G. Every one of the above cameras took excellant photos and all are within your price range.​

Of course I'm partial to Hasselblad. One can be assembled for less than $500, but with the prices of backs climbing it's getting harder and harder to do it.

Mamiya RB67, if weight isn't an issue. Mamiya 645 otherwise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back