What should my next lens be?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Jaszek, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Jaszek

Jaszek No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am planning to buy a battery grip for my XSI and after that a lens. The only problem is I have no idea what my next lens should be. I shoot a lot of landscapes. So far I have a Canon 18-55mm IS Kit lens, nifty fifty, and a sigma 70-200mm.

2. DRoberts

DRoberts TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. Alleh Lindquist

Alleh Lindquist TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why would you want a battery grip for an XSI? I don't think canon even makes one with a vertical shutter release. It would just be a waste of money in an attempt to make the camera look cool. Use that money to get a Canon 17-40 F4 L or a tokina 12-24

4. DRoberts

DRoberts TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Canon does have grips with vert shutter...and ez setting buttons.
    The BG-e2n is a good grip.

But I would not put that above lens needs.

5. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Actually the Canon BG-E5 battery grip for EOS XSi do have a shutter as well as the AE lock button.:wink:

6. frXnz kafka

frXnz kafka TPF Noob!

I think battery grips help more with smaller cameras like the Rebel series than they do with the XXD series. They provide not only the portrait grip, but they give you a little more to hold onto on the landscape grip. After I bought a grip for my XT it felt very uncomfortable without it. Now that I have a 30D, I'm quite fine without the grip.

As far as lenses, what do you shoot? Landscapes? Portraits? Alleh's poor tact aside, the Canon 17-40mm f/4L is a good suggestion. Very nice lens, not too expensive, and a pretty good range for a crop body like your XSi. If you're looking for a super-wide I'd suggest the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 over the 12-24mm.

7. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    These kinds of questions I often chuckle at... how can someone on the other side of the world tell you what your next piece of camera equipment should be?

My first thought that pops in is... if you don't know at least generally what you want, you are not ready to purchase anything.

How difficult are the concepts of:
    - what is your budget?
    - I want to shoot bugs and flowers up close = macro lens (50-150mm)
    - I shoot in smaller areas or landscapes a lot = wide angle (10-50mm)
    - I shoot indoors in low or poor quality light = fast lens from (10-50mm but apertures from F/1.8 to F/1.4)
    - I want to shoot portraits = long fast lens (50-200 mm F/2.8 or primes in the 70 to 105mm range)
    - I want one general walk-around lens that does everything ok, but nothing fantastic = 18-200 style (more styles are coming out everyday)
    - I want to shoot weddings = all of the above and more (lol)

As far as battery grips, I'm on my 2nd camera with one, and love it. I cannot see myself using a camera without one, and though they add weight (in cases like mine, a lot of weight to an already heavy camera... lol), I love what it does. The weight makes the camera more stable, the size increase makes the camera easier to hold and control in my hand and the 2nd battery extends the times that I can shoot before I need to change batteries.

8. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Because G.A.S is driven by "wants" not "needs". Believe me I know.... I like collecting cameras, everything in my cabinet is a "want". :lol:

In general, I don't see the OPster's need for "another" lens. OP essentially has 18-200 covered with a fast single prime for low light. I personally wouldn't be happy with the kit lens but that is me not the OP. If the OP doesn't see a need to replace it then why even consider it? Blow the money on other things that actually will improve or enable a particular photo but as Jerry said, that decision isn't possible until you determine what that photo is exactly.

9. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i'd get the lens before the grip... if you shoot landscapes there is no real need for a grip other than to pimp your ride.... an extra battery in your pocket is equally as effective and will save you money... grips are for wedding/portrait shooters and sports shooterS needing faster fps

like others have mentioned the tokina 12-24, tokina 11-16, canon and sigma 10-20 would all be good candidates for research.... this is a focal range you don't have yet and wide lenses (especially if you include perspective altering items) can really change the look of your landscapes...

10. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here's a thought for your next lens if you like landscapes.

I love my Sigma 10-20mm

http://10-20mm.com/

11. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I definitely and completely second that notion. The 10-20 is the most fun lens I own, and the quality is great. So many people are turned off by the idea of third-party lenses, but this lens doesn't deserve that stigma.

EDIT: Haha The Sigma doesn't deserve that stigma. I made a funny.

12. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :lol: :lol: