What shutter speed for hand held macro?

andrewcollier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What should I consider a minimum shutter speed for hand held macro (flowers). I am mainly using a Sigma 105, rarely at minimum focus. I have been using 250 sec min (as set for when I use flash). Also but what would be a reasonable minimum when using a tripod, allowing for a little flower wind movement?

Thanks

That's a hard question IMO. I am able to hand hold at 1/20th with no shake. Most of the time it's around 1/1250. I would just say to play around with it and find what works for you. Also your light makes a difference. If it's cloudy or shady, you will need a slower shutter speed. Sunny, will need a faster. Someone might come up with a better answer on here but that's my opinion.

That's a hard question IMO. I am able to hand hold at 1/20th with no shake. Most of the time it's around 1/1250. I would just say to play around with it and find what works for you. Also your light makes a difference. If it's cloudy or shady, you will need a slower shutter speed. Sunny, will need a faster. Someone might come up with a better answer on here but that's my opinion.

Wow, really? I wouldnt even consider handholding anything less than 1/60. Of course I have no IS so that may add a stop or two. I prefer 1/125 and up though.

from 1/160 when photographing without tripod to avoid any motion blur, mainly in macro! It works well for flowers and lazy bugs (not enough for macro of lively bugs)
from 1/200 or 1/250 for a medium wind ;)

Of course, if you can, use a shorter shutter speed and it goes without saying that if you get the possibility to take macro, using a tripod and during a windless day, this is far better!

Last edited:

Wow, really? I wouldnt even consider handholding anything less than 1/60. Of course I have no IS so that may add a stop or two. I prefer 1/125 and up though.
Well, my camera doesn't handle high ISO so I use a slower shutter speed to get less noise. Plus the largest aperture my camera goes is 2.8. I don't use 1/20th much but looking at some of the EXIF data, I see that there are some shots I took at that speed. (Maybe I should be a surgeon with my steady hands...) :lol: ya right!

Most reactions

Back