What size file for a 10x10 print? Newbie..

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi,
Photobucket is doing a 10x10 metal print for $30 today. I thought I would try one as I have not ever done one.
I don't know how to size a photo though so any help appreciated in newbie terminology:)
Nancy

Pixels divided by ppi = inches, so 3000 pixels will give you 10" at 300 ppi.

hi,
Photobucket is doing a 10x10 metal print for $30 today. I thought I would try one as I have not ever done one.
I don't know how to size a photo though so any help appreciated in newbie terminology:)
Nancy

If you use LR then crop to a 10x10. Then when you export it it set the output pixels to 200-300 DO NOT set the pixel size box if you have already set the aspect ratio. No calculations needed and your prints always come out properly. I use this on dozens of pictures every year...the approach never fails me no matter who i have do the printing.

So far no one has told you anything about the file size, which is what you asked about.
All they have talked about is print resolution (ppi) and image resolution (how many pixels by how many pixels).
Print resolution and image resolution determine print size.
Print quality is a function of image file size and print/image resolution.

Also not mentioned is the print aspect ratio, which for a 10" x 10" square (regardless the size of the sides of the square) is 1:1.
In other words all sides of the print are the same length.
Most DSLR photos have a 3:2 aspect ratio.
So one would have to crop to a 1:1 square aspect ratio. Getting to 1:1 from 3:2 you're going to lose a significant amount of image resolution - most likely from the long side of a 3:2 aspect ratio image, and some file size. So be mindful when you crop.

The more you crop the lower the file size, but basically you want to retain as much file size as possible.
The print lab will set a print resolution compatible with their print device for the size print you order.

Print labs want JPEG files (TIFFs are way bigger files and eat up their storage to fast) and most JPEG files saved at high quality settings are going to be 2 to 4 MB in file size. For a 10 x 10 you would still get a nice print from a 1 Mb file size.

Prints made on metal (usually aluminum because it's cheap) require different printing techniques than prints on paper.
C-prints are made on light sensitive paper and then are chemically developed.
The paper used with inkjet printers usually absorbs some amount of the ink/dye used, which is why discussions of inkjet print paper get into how much 'tooth' the paper has.
A further consideration for inkjet inks/dyes is if they have an aqueous (water) base, or a solvent base

Metal has zero tooth.
Indeed the metal has to have a coating applied to it so the ink/dye used will stay on the metal and the printed image will have decent longevity.
Metal prints are all the rage now.
Time will tell regarding the longevity of metal prints from the various print outlets.

What print lab does Photobucket use for metal prints?

Last edited:
Thank you all for taking the time during the holiday issues to respond. I did not get to order the print today. Now that I have some insight, I can be ready when they offer this again.
I hope Santa finds your houses with what you wanted...:)

Most reactions

Back