What size memory stick?

Craddosk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm rather curious what individuals on here are using as the source of memory storage in their cameras. Not the card type, but rather the size (1GB, 2GB, 4GB...)

I'm currently at odds between getting a 2GB card of a 4 GB card for a Nikon D40x, with 18-55mm lens. I realize there is a different in price, but would it be better to buy two 2GB cards for near the price of the 4GB?

Recommendations? I'm looking to purchase them from www.costco.ca.
Thanks.

It's really a personal choice. Are you OK with putting all of your eggs in one basket (so to speak)?

With larger cards, there is a greater risk of losing more images, if a card is lost or damaged.

However, cards are quite robust and card failure is uncommon. So having a larger capacity card is more convenient.

I usually look for larger cards, as long as they are not too much more expensive.

Right now, 4GB cards are probably a good deal...Although, 2GB might be very inexpensive and that is plenty of space for images.

I currently only have my 1GB card that my husband purchased with my camera a couple of months ago, but I plan to get a 4GB card in a few weeks. Since I am shooting in RAW mode, the images are very large and I figure the less I have to change my equipment around, the more I am shooting :)

One thing you must be careful of.. always check with the camera model specs how big an SD card it can take.
Some models don't recognise large card sizes or have trouble formating them, my Nikon D50 for example will have trouble with a 4G card.

I use a 4gig card and am really happy with it. I don't like having to switch out cards often, but then I don't do things like wedding photography so the risk of losing pictures doesn't bother me as much.

I have a 1gb card & a 4gb card. Although I only take pictures as a hobby so if I loose some pictures its not a big deal.

I was at a shoot this weekend. Had my 2GB in. Shooting RAW.

Thank gawd I had my 4GB with me because I ended up using it too.

Only time you need a back up is when you need a back up. (And for me, it's rare that I have a backup so this was really, really "special" time.) :]

I'm rather curious what individuals on here are using as the source of memory storage in their cameras. Not the card type, but rather the size (1GB, 2GB, 4GB...)

I'm currently at odds between getting a 2GB card of a 4 GB card for a Nikon D40x, with 18-55mm lens. I realize there is a different in price, but would it be better to buy two 2GB cards for near the price of the 4GB?

Thanks.

I have two 2G cards for my Nikon D80. I like large but I don't like pushing the state of the art.

Thanks.

I have two 2G cards for my Nikon D80. I like large but I don't like pushing the state of the art.

I prefer the 2gb as well. Works great for the number of pics I take.

I have all 3 sizes in both CF and SD, the SD 4gb ultra seem very slow shooting and copying off the card, the 4gb CF cards seem fine

Hmm. Seems to me that the individuals that do it to a great extent (weddings, ect.) prefer the 4GB, while individuals who do not utilize their camera's to the same degree prefer 2GB.

I don't plan on shooting in RAW for sometime (other then experimentation), so I think a 2GB will suffice for me. I'll look at prices though, a 4GB might be better money spent.

Any specific brands better than others? I've done research and understand the different levels of SD cards (Level 4, Level 6 etc). The question is, is there a noticeable difference between a Level 4 and a Level 6 card when being used in a Nikon D40x? I don't plan to use the 3fps option that much, and when I do, it would not be for more then a few frames.

I carry 4 x 2GB SD Ultras (i dont like 4GB the transfer rate is lower mb/s compared to te 2GB cards. Its the nature of the more compressed solid state cards)
Also a 30GB Remote Storage Device.

Id suggest 2 x 2GB to start with, unless you plan to spend time where you wont be going near a pc for a period of several days, you dont really need more than that. If you are planning on hiking, travelling etc, then expand your range, start of with a low number, then expand as you find out what you really need.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back