What Speedlight?

Mitch D60

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is the SB-600 a decent speedlight? Compared to the higher end ones, what's the big difference? It's my first speedlight so keep in mind I don't need anything too fancy.

SB-600 is really nice, it was my first Speedlight. Then I went to the SB-400 and use that most of the time.

I did get a second SB-600 and an umbrella kit as well but haven't used that much at all.

What are you looking to use it for?

I'm going to use it for low light indoor shots where it isn't convenient to use a long shutter and a tripod.

Around the house kind of stuff I absolutely LOVE my SB-400, it's small and just works. No settings and I can bounce it off the ceiling (landscape) or walls (portrait).

Does have a 1/200 sync limitation but I've never found it to be an issue.

I personally think the SB-400 is one of the most underrated and unfairly judged Speedlights.

But hey, if you can afford an SB-600 go for it... more power, it rotates as well as tilts and you don't have the 1/200 sync limit... plus it can be controlled wirelessly from a compatible camera or the SU-800 I believe it's called.

The SB-600 is decent. The SB-900 is killer. The SB-400 will work around the house on the hot shoe. It's to bad they no longer make the SB-800, the best speedlight ever made for the money.

You don't say what camera you intend to use the speedlight with and that has a bearing on recommendations.

Does your camera have Commander mode capability? If you're going to want to use it extensively in FP sync mode it will go through batteries like you won't believe.

Guessing by his user name it's a D60?
Could be.

If so no Commander mode and no OCF (off camera flash) without more accessories, like the $250 SU-800, or some 3rd party optical or radio triggers..

I suggest looking at the http://strobist.blogspot.com/ .

You'll find all the info you need there. I actually use off camera flash and cheap old ones to boot. You'll be surprised what and old flash can do when used with new digital cameras.

I use a couple of old Vivitar 283's and one 285.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back