What telephoto lens to complement 17-50 for crop sensor

... Normally you can use full frame lenses on cropped sensor cameras but not the other way round because of the distance between the back of the lens and the sensor.
fyi, that lens/mirror distance issue is related to Canon DSLRs, not Nikon DSLRs.

... Normally you can use full frame lenses on cropped sensor cameras but not the other way round because of the distance between the back of the lens and the sensor.
fyi, that lens/mirror distance issue is related to Canon DSLRs, not Nikon DSLRs.

And to elaborate, you can mount a crop lens on a full frame body with Nikon, and some of them actually do work reasonable well. But you'll have some vignetting to crop out still.

And to elaborate, you can mount a crop lens on a full frame body with Nikon, and some of them actually do work reasonable well. But you'll have some vignetting to crop out still.
Right, a crop lens normally creates a smaller image area for the DX sensor. So you can get vignetting. Some lenses are fine at certain focal ranges though.

With the Canons crop lenses though, the (on a rear focusing element lens) glass protrudes further into the camera body. With a smaller mirror on crop Canons that is no issue. But the larger mirror on FullFrame, the mirror can hit the lens element when it is protruding into the body more. At some focus distances it will not hit the FF mirror.

I don't have a Canon .. that's what I've read about the issue in the past.
That's one reason why I like Nikon. Can swap lenses no problem in relation to damage.

Thanks for clarifying that astro, I wasn't aware that Nikons don't have that issue and assumed it was full frame thing. Ah, well you know what they say about assumption making an ass of you and me. Or more spesifically me in this case. :saturn:

You can make a lot of great pictures with the camera and lenses you have right now. If you take a look at some of the great photos made in years gone buy, they were often made with very modest equipment. It is hard to resist the erg to keep buying more and more equipment. It is called (G)ear (A)cquisition (S)yndrome or GAS for short. I've had some bad GAS over the years thinking that if I just had this or that piece of gear it would make me so much better at whichever hobby I'm into at any given time. Most of the time it didn't do much other than lighten my wallet. Cameras and lenses are so good these days that the kit zooms are much better than what was available just a few years ago.

You can make a lot of great pictures with the camera and lenses you have right now. If you take a look at some of the great photos made in years gone buy, they were often made with very modest equipment. It is hard to resist the erg to keep buying more and more equipment. It is called (G)ear (A)cquisition (S)yndrome or GAS for short. I've had some bad GAS over the years thinking that if I just had this or that piece of gear it would make me so much better at whichever hobby I'm into at any given time. Most of the time it didn't do much other than lighten my wallet. Cameras and lenses are so good these days that the kit zooms are much better than what was available just a few years ago.

I am well familiar with that Syndrome . Long time hobby of mine is shooting rifles and an urge to pretty up that rifle can be overwhelming and run into many thousands of dollars :) So I keep it under pretty tight control. But from my shooting hobby I also learned that there is a component of man learning not to stand in the way of the machine and man trying to overcome machines quirks. When you're truly incompetent it helps to have a machine that you don't have to overcome. Doesn't make you better just helps you focus on the fundamentals. For example I am shooting random images around the house no flash as I read"Understanding exposure book". There is huge difference between f1.8 1/60 shutter and f 5.6 1/8 shutter. So less time spent on thinking settings and getting braced more time thinking composition.

.... For example I am shooting random images around the house no flash as I read"Understanding exposure book". There is huge difference between f1.8 1/60 shutter and f 5.6 1/8 shutter. So less time spent on thinking settings and getting braced more time thinking composition.

Preciously, before taking an image you have to think about what shutter speed will give you the effect that you need while not inducing any hand/camera shake and image movement (to your liking). So 1/60th may not even be fast enough.

Then you need to think of what Depth of Field you need. F/1.8 may be too thin, f/5.6 may be good.

Then you can use ISO to compensate for a proper exposure. This may be ISO 100, or 1,000 or 3,200 etc.

If the ISO introduces too much noise you may opt to change Aperture/Shutter to compensate for the image that you want to capture. The composition involves the exposure/DOF. But once you understand what flexibilities you have in exposure you can work on the subject composition much more.

Most reactions

Back