What the F*** is that?

Reverend

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.alsphoto.com
This ****es me off.

Perfect day, perfect light, perfect cloud cover, and a great composition.

I get all set up for this shot, and there's some kind of wierd glare on the lens.

IMG_5383_copy.sized.jpg

Its that lighter hexagon right smack dab in the middle of the shot. I tried to burn it out to make it less noticable, but you can still see it. It happens with every IR shot I take with that crappy 18-55 kit lens.

Just venting. I'm feeling much better now. :wink:

looks like a kind of lens glare...... i'd be tempted to clone it out ;)

If you are using the Canon Rebel with the kit lens, it is pron to these flares in the center. I have had the same trouble with my camera. I tried the Hoya72 IR filter, and get the spot as well. Im using the Canon Digital Rebel. I will see if I can find the article I read about this.

You could clone it out, if you were willing to spend an entire day on it.

The filter I had just happened to fit on the kit lens -- it was borrowed from a friend. I'll probably just buy a lens hood and an IR filter for my 10-22, and redo the shot. Its a much sharper lens anyway, and the shot would probably be worth getting done correctly.

Its just frustrating that Canon would give the general public that crappy kit lens. That thing is pure junk.

It's basically a lens flare, caused from the coatings on your lens. The kit lens is not suitable for digital IR photography.

Check out this journal of mine, which contains of list of compatible lenses.

http://mperko.deviantart.com/journal/4289193/

The kit lens is not a bad lens, for the price. There are some very expensive lenses that will also give you this hotspot. Canon doesn't make it lenses specifically to work with digital IR. There are lots of other types of photography, and that is one small nitch.

The 50mm f/1.8 is a great lens for digital IR, and one you should have in your bag anyway. It's only around $70.

Good link.. Too bad you don't have the 10-22 listed on there. That's going to be my next attempt at this shot. I can confirm the 50mm f/1.8 being OK for IR. I got a really killer IR shot with it last week.

Digital Matt said:
It's basically a lens flare, caused from the coatings on your lens. The kit lens is not suitable for digital IR photography.

Check out this journal of mine, which contains of list of compatible lenses.

http://mperko.deviantart.com/journal/4289193/

The kit lens is not a bad lens, for the price. There are some very expensive lenses that will also give you this hotspot. Canon doesn't make it lenses specifically to work with digital IR. There are lots of other types of photography, and that is one small nitch.

The 50mm f/1.8 is a great lens for digital IR, and one you should have in your bag anyway. It's only around $70.

Excellent stuff D Matt. Thanks for posting, and you helped me as well. :thumbup:

I had that same problem. Only thing i figured out to make it less, is to use shorter shuttertimes. But then the pics didnt come out that great neither.
But then i bought a 50mm 1.8 and no trouble whatsoever with that lens.
Good luck with the 10-22, hope it works out for you.

I don't have any info on the 10-22, but if you test it, please let me know, and I'll update that list.

Glad it helped Chiller :)

You gotta love Canon. :D Nonetheless I still like the shot.

SeanL said:
You gotta love Canon. :D Nonetheless I still like the shot.
Photogoddess had the same hotspt issue with all her Canon stuff. I fixed it though by swiping the filter from here and using it on Nikon gear :mrgreen:

Michael.............

malachite said:
Photogoddess had the same hotspt issue with all her Canon stuff. I fixed it though by swiping the filter from here and using it on Nikon gear :mrgreen:

Michael.............

Then you spent 2 hours with NeatImage removing the noise... :D

Digital Matt said:
Then you spent 2 hours with NeatImage removing the noise... :D

:lol: :lol:

Anyhow, I have taken a few shots with the kit lens and the Hoya R72 and have gotten a few with the hotspot most of them don't have the hotspot, or if it does it is just a tiny bit that isn't too noticeable. I also have been shooting too short of exposure times so that probably has a lot to do with it. I am hoping to get out one of these days and take a good IR photo with correct exposure...if it would quit raining already:x

i thought yhou meant the moth. got freaked!!! You'd found a ghost!!!!!

The hexagon shape is actually the shape of the aperature. I remember a video from a few years ago of people getting pictures of UFOs. They kept getting diamond and hexagon patterns in the sky while looking through cameras. It took a few photographers to finally point out that it happens all the time even when pointing the camera at objects on the ground.

Cool shot, it is a bummer about the flare. A longer lens hood might help. I have even cut up old map tubes and put them over the factory hood to make them longer temporarily to cut down on glare.

Most reactions

Back