What the &#$@ Happened Here

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by rp1600, Oct 2, 2006.

1. rp1600

rp1600 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Help! Not sure what happened here other than I know I have some sync issues.

Background: Was shooting election night campaign party. The pictures here were shot back to back. The first had sync problems on left hand side of photo. Next image came out fine. No settings were changed on camera between shots. This same issue occurred on about half of the images i shot, four rolls worth.

Shot with Canon F-1, 50mm 1.4, Sunpak 555 set on manual and occasionally automatic, shutter speed 60 (sync speed).

I have no clue and was just wondering before bringing it to shop if any of you had experienced anything similiar.

[​IMG]

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's exactly what happens when the shutter speed is too fast for the flash sync. The shutter is still partially closed when the flash fires. The flash burst only lasts for a very very short time...so if one of the shutter curtains isn't fully open...that part of the image does not record any of the flashed light.

On an F-1...the shutter will be old and may be sticky or just a little slow. Has is been serviced?

When it's dark like that, you can usually get away with a slower shutter speed, which will give the flash more of a window.

3. rp1600

rp1600 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's what I was thinking. However, I'd guess that probably 95 percent of the pictures were shot at 1/60 with a few at 1/30. Maybe it's just sticking here and there. Time for trip to the shop.

4. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    Yeah, it seems to me like a camera problem.

5. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have Canon AE1P with that same problem. Like is the shutter but it also could be the mirror hanging up blocking the light

6. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Reminds me of early auto strobes that just shut down at the first light return. Just the bright hand and the foreground lighted. Im sure that wouldnt be the case now but it sure looks like shots from back then.

Then to bring up the subject it has to be over exposed in the front. Like I said that was then.

7. rp1600

rp1600 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That might very well be the case as the Sunpak 555 is along the lines of a relic. :wink: In this case does it appear that it's more of a camera problem than a flash problem?

8. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I can only speak to film but if it were a camera problem with film it would be a black spot left bye the focal plane shutter. The flash fires faster than your shutter on film so it wont burn unless you have the aperture wrong.

Assuming it was set up auto and your fstop was set correctly then the flash would be my guess. But most likely you had the fstop set wrong on a more modern flash.

On the vivitar what would happen to me was I would set the fstop say for the orange guide, then set the strobe on the purple guide which cause it to do just what you see there. Not enough light output so you had to over expose in the front to bring out the back. I would try shooting it and make notes of how you set it up. If it tests out fine I would guess in this one case you just had it set wrong. If however you are shooting digital disregard all this. There are a lot more things to go wrong and I dont shoot digital so I cant help you.

sorry i cant help more.