What the heck did I do wrong here?

If you insist on using manual just make sure to pay attention to your exposure meter (#16 below). Keep it centered and you'll get "good enough" photos. Also make sure you don't have any exposure compensation on (#18 below).

I won't be shooting in manual mode for a while. Great graphics. Thanks.

I would expect this issue when using film, but you are shooting digital photographs. Snap a few pics and review them on the spot, adjust if needed- seems like common sense to me.

Yeah. Seemed like common sense to me too. That's why I did exactly that. In a previous post I mentioned that the LCD looked fine. They didn't seem overexposed at all. Had they looked bad, I'd have made an adjustment. Though I confess I probably would have made the wrong adjustment.

Everyone is pointing out various features on your camera, the one I would suggest you use more is the playback button located at the top left corner of your screen- they put it that close to the screen for a reason.

Oh, is that why it's there? I thought it was a representation of the Bahamian flag. Ya know...since that's where I might use the camera on vacation and all. Good tip. Thanks.

And shooting a moment such as this in full manual is not recommended- even for an experienced photog. For me, it would be Aperture Priority (large A on the dial) and shoot away all day long, concentrate on focus and every shot will be a keeper.

Yep, I'm on that path now. So let me sum up: Large A, use the playback button, review, review, review. Got it. You're a daisy. Thanks.

Dan

Auto setting works best for beginners. You should try to get a hold of photography for dummies. It's a cheap book and combied with a manual, or a book about your camera, will teach you a lot of stuff that will hopefully get you out of the auto mode. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back