What the heck is this thing??

Anybody realize yet that the member who asked what this is, is no longer with us - so to speak.....;) :lol:

Oh geez, did he get banned again?

I don't think I'd have noticed if Dagwood hadn't said anything :oops: didn't realise he was bannable material ... never seen any dubious posts of his but then I never get around to reading everything on here anyway ...

I don't know the speciifcs, but I know from experience he has been a bit rough at times and has been warned.

He's a good guy, really. He's just a bit rough around the edges. (this thread is soooo gonna get locked now) :lol:

He's a good guy, really. He's just a bit rough around the edges. (this thread is soooo gonna get locked now) :lol:

After some further looking around I'm somewhat (bout 60%) confident it's a homemade anchor fairlead (same concept and commonly confused as a hawsepipe but externally mounted to the bow, where as the hawsepipe is an opening built into the side of the vessel like this, used to guide the rode (anchor cable) in such a way as to prevent chafing and minimize friction.) for a small vessel that would not ordenarily have one premanufacturered, like a fishing boat or the like, anyways.

Here is an example of another homemade anchor fairlead, Slightly more rudimentry in design and mounted on a larger vessel but same thing.
brucestc.jpg

So lock away I guess.

It does not look like anything IVE seen on a boat. It would not be for an anchor chain, as a chain and anchor would rip that wooden insert piece to pieces in one use.

It does not look like anything IVE seen on a boat. It would not be for an anchor chain, as a chain and anchor would rip that wooden insert piece to pieces in one use.

That thing could easily handle the anchor and rope I used with the row boat I used to use for fishing, it looks sturdy enough to me to handle a bass boat, but then again anchoring a tiny boat like that is not the most common practice in the world.

Somebody said a mount for a weather vane on the spreaders that come off a sailboat mast. A very old one at that. Not sure though.

Most reactions

Back