What the hell do I choose?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Graelwyn, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Graelwyn

Graelwyn TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Been debating this for a month now. I get to a point I think I am decided, then I end up being swayed again.

I had a D200, then sold it off last year with the lenses. so I am starting anew again. I only had 2 lenses anyways.

I am trying to choose between a Canon 40D and a Nikon D80.

If I selected Nikon, obviously, I would be saving for the D300.

Selected Canon, I have no idea what I would progress to.

I have no experience of Canon, but it feels just as right in my hands as the D80 and more right than the D300.

Which would be the better deal...

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewPr...m IS CashBack Offer&CAT_CODE=5&SUBCAT_CODE=95

http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewPr...e=Nikon D80 Double Lens Bundle CashBack Offer

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    hmm I think you are thinking backwards ;)
    Don't get too hooked up on what body to go for next after starting - think more what glass you want on the camera. Both canon and nikkon have good ranges of glass and can do almost anything you want, but if there are any specific areas you are wanting to go into one brand might be better than the other. Further good glass is worth far more than a good body and will last out for more years without being upgraded.

After that I would say that the feel of a camera is very important as you are going to be using it for a long long time so to be comforatble with using it is key.

3. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your looking at it the wrong way. you buy into the company's system not body. The lens line-up makes a huge factor in determining which route to go. Both of the big two make excellent lenses that cover the entire range of focal length. Granted Canon has more variations to offer in certain ranges than others. i.e. 4 variations of the 70-200, 3 versions of the 400mm, 2 versions of the 300mm, etc. The quality is present in both company. You just have to decide what you intend to shoot, and which brand has the equipment that you will need.

4. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    to answer one of your questions, the next step from a 40D would be the 5D most likely...and that's full frame!

5. Graelwyn

Graelwyn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would be shooting mostly landscape, portraiturem architectural and macro. Not into sports photography, but might be trying to capture everyday in life action as well.

Not that experienced on lenses, to be honest, so in the end, it is still a matter of which because both feel comfortable to hold.

What suits portrait photography best?

6. Everett Christopher Photo

Everett Christopher Photo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Honestly it doesn't matter what camera you get, if you're going to get into portraits start off with the 50mm 1.8. I personally love my Nikons but there are always at least 2 camps to everything. If you have the money and want Nikon go with the D300. the battery lasts freakin' forever and the quality of high ISO shooting is best in class, as is the D3. For now, of course.

7. keith204

Photos OK to edit
    You really need to learn more about lenses. It's not a 'what's more comfortable to hold' when it comes to lenses, as much as cameras. You NEED a large aperture, as Everett mentioned. The 50mm f/1.8 is the best bang for the buck, and a great place to start.

Go learn about lenses :)

8. Graelwyn

Graelwyn TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was speaking of the bodies when I spoke of what was more comfortable to hold, not the lenses.

9. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know this will probably just frustrate you, but I think it doesn't really matter. If you're not brand loyal, and you're not already invested in one system or another, than both of these are SO GOOD that you'll be happy either way. With a few exceptions here and there, both companies have similar lenses in all different styles. They both have in-lens IS/VR, and both have body options all the way up to full professional grade. With either one, your pocketbook is the only limit (which cannot be said for some other companies). If it were me, though, I'd probably lean towards the Canon. I'm more of a Nikon guy than Canon, but its because I think they "just feel right." And since both companies are pretty much neck and neck on glass, it kind of defaults back to feel.

Be glad you have the choice of picking "beautiful camera a" vs. "beautiful camera b" That's a fun decision!

10. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why do you think so? Just out of curiosity...

11. keith204

Photos OK to edit
    for portraiture it will do wonders with depth of field

12. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How about $20 close up lens for that? Minolta has a 0.9 diopter "No. 0" and pentax has 0.44 and 0.76 diopter lenses. I paid about $50 for my .44 pentax T226 but now my DOF is like a 4x5 box camera... really sweet! It limits the subject distance a little but it's almost always within portraiture range. I think it's about 2.5m or so.

--
    Just personal opinion but I don't like 50mm portraits. 65 to 80 is ok... 80 ROCKS! :headbang: