What the hell is this lense? lol...

Zabimaru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay i bought a D90 and it came with this lense

Nikkor 18-105mm VR lense.

First of all, this isn't a 'standard' lense is it? (like the lense i got with my film camera (35ml 28-80). So what the hell is it? It isn't a telephoto lense i don't think ...lenses still confuse me and i've never used anything apart from the standard lense so far.

Secondly, VR means vibration reduction right? So should i just keep this on all the time or is there a reason i would want it off? Surely anything that reduces the vibration you would just leave on all the time.

Forgive me and my noobish questions.

Okay i bought a D90 and it came with this lense
Secondly, VR means vibration reduction right? So should i just keep this on all the time or is there a reason i would want it off? Surely anything that reduces the vibration you would just leave on all the time.

You want to be able to turn off VR when using a tripod.

What do you mean by "standard lens"?

PS: It's lens. No 'e'.

im trying to figure out if it worth it to buy the lens with the camera or to just buy the body and get a diferent lens. i dont want to buy a lens later that is better but can do what the 18-105mm can do, which would mean i wouldnt use that lens anymore. im purchasing my d90 tomorrow and im still not sure what route to take. so what the hell is thay lens ideal for, anybody?

that is a standard lens. Why is everybody all "what the hell" about it for?

Normally, kit lenses, or lenses that comes with the camera as a package, are not really "ideal" for anything. Their quality is usually mediocre at best, and can sometimes be bought for less than a 100 bucks. But for many beginners, the large range from wide angle to decent telephoto is worth it, just until they are kick started off their feet and get used to their first DSLRs. Here's a link to a review to the lens you mentioned. From what I can see, it's one of the better kit lenses, although I have never personally used it.

Many beginners go a different route and buy the camera body, a good prime lens, and a camera bag, and learn from there. Some think this is the better route to go because it forces you to be innovative, as a prime lens doesn't zoom in any way. However, prime lenses have less moving parts and are better quality and are usually quite fast; they let in tons of light. A Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8 or a 50mm f/1.4 is a good starter.

I don't know which route you should go, but I do think you should handle both the D90 and the prospective lenses before you buy.

Oh! And definitely return here and share your photos when you've decided!

sorry for being amature and not wanting to drop alot of money on something im not to sure about so im trying to learn more about. my bad​

that is what i was looking for. thx for taking the time to reply. and i will post pics. look forward to hearing some of your c&c

ya the 18-105 is just a kit lens a way for you to get your feet planted in a expensive hobby
but boy is it fun

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Very wise choice to change that "douche" comment.

I believe if you search in the Photographic Discussions forum, there was a really long winded thread/debate/argument over lens/e.

No one "won". And the English language does change - rapidly, in fact, but there's still something in me that just sort of cringes each time someone types it with an 'e'.

I think we should stop before we derail the OP's thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back