what this on my pics

miskin83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i am new to the dslr world

what this thats appearing on my pictures??

dust.JPG
dust.JPG

it appears with different lenses.

is it dust?? i have only had the camera for a month.

Many thanks

pic attached

You may have dust on your low pass filter. You can try to clean it yourself, although as I have said in other threads you run the risk of getting more dust on your filter through trying to clean it. I had a nightmare situation that was solves by an awsome camera store but thats another story. If you feel brave read up on the internet about cleaning a low pass filter, I would say take the safe route bring it to your local camera shop and ask themto clean it or to show you how to clean it. Although judging from the look of that it may not be dust on your sensor in which case I do not know what it is.

well i have checked my first photos i took with the camera and this mark isn't on it. I think it dust.

d 50 are you in the uk, and if so do you know what the costs are for a camera shop to clean sensor?

cheers

I'm assuming that that is a crop, to show a close up of the spot? It does look like dust, if it's only a small spot.

Google "sensor cleaning" and you will find plenty of info on how to do it yourself. You may be able to use a blower bulb to blow the dust off but as D-50 said, be careful not to get more on the sensor. Always do it in a clean room...set it to cleaning mode (with full battery)...turn it open side down and gently give it some puffs of air.

If the spots remain, you may need to use a sensor brush or cleaning pads etc. You can learn to do it from web sites...but maybe seeing someone do it for you, would be the best way to learn...if so, ask at a good camera store.

Be aware, this post may be contrued as being unhelpful:

Buy an Olympus with the self cleaning CCD. :wink:

miskin83, can you post the whole picture?

From the hexagonal look of the spot I tend to believe it might be either flare or a spec of dust found near the camera when you shot this picture. But... I will reserve better judgment when the whole picture is on display.

Try this little gem.... i bought one, and have had no problems since.

The SpeckGRABBER
www.kinetronics.com

top right hand corner i dont' think its flare.

any one used a blower? any tips

cheers

speck.jpg

Looks too big to be dust on the sensor (to me anyway).

With the subject matter, and the hexagonal shape...flare may not be out of the question.

if it is flare would it appear on all my photos??

taken with different lens

i thought flare was some thing to do with light bouncing around the barrel %-).

it looks like a cigerette burn like you see on old movies when they change the reel.

speck1.jpg

speck2.jpg

speck3.jpg

I forgot about that...definitely not flare then.

I'd say, give the sensor a cleaning and see if that make a difference. I guess it could also be a defect with the sensor...in which case, is it still under warranty?

i checked the first pictures i took with the camera. and i cant spot it.

i will try to back track and see when it started to appear on my pictures.

cheers

just checked my images and the "speck" appears after i put my new lens on. Must be dust.

any advice on cleaning????

ta

Big Mike said:
Google "sensor cleaning" and you will find plenty of info on how to do it yourself. You may be able to use a blower bulb to blow the dust off but as D-50 said, be careful not to get more on the sensor. Always do it in a clean room...set it to cleaning mode (with full battery)...turn it open side down and gently give it some puffs of air.

If the spots remain, you may need to use a sensor brush or cleaning pads etc. You can learn to do it from web sites...but maybe seeing someone do it for you, would be the best way to learn...if so, ask at a good camera store.

:D

Most reactions

Back