What to buy (Complete Beginner)

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by JELIFISH19, Sep 2, 2009.

1. JELIFISH19

JELIFISH19 TPF Noob!

I've always had an interest in photography so I decided to take a photography class at school. I need a camera for it. The professor recommended a Canon G-10 or a G-11. Originally, I wanted a DSLR and he recommended that if I could afford it. I can afford an entry-level one like a Canon Rebel but I think it might be smarter to go a different route because DSLRs with lenses can get expensive. If I get something close to a DSLR, it can give me a feel for it to see if I want to pursue it further. Is that a smart decision?

I was looking at the Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR. It seems like it's what I'm looking for. Is there anything else I should look at? I'm looking to spend around $600.

Thanx

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon D60 with 18-55 VR lens is only $549 at Best Buy, D40 with 18-55 lens is only $449 at the same place.

The new Nikon D3000 (in 'taking orders' status last time I checked) is at $599 with 18-55 VR lens.

I'm sure there are Canons and others that would fit your budget as well but I only know the Nikon lineup.

3. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are looking at advanced P&S, there is the Canon SX10 IS that is pretty nice, and the G10 is a great camera, will manual controls that will let you learn about photography.

I would probably go with the G10, as when you get a DSLR - if you stick with this, you will get one - then its a great camera to keep in your backpack or pocket when you dont want to drag your full kit with you.

Or maybe look at a G9 or an older model if you want to save some coin

4. JELIFISH19

JELIFISH19 TPF Noob!

I'm definitely looking for an advanced P&S right now. I was mainly considering Canons since that's what my professor uses so he can give me advice. I also have owned a couple of their Powershots. I was considering the G11 and the SX1IS. I was leaning more towards the SX1IS though. That's in the top 2 along with the S200EXR. But the S200EXR seems like it has more control. They're also the same price. Which one would be the better buy?

FinePix S200EXR / S205EXR | Fujifilm Global
    or
    PowerShot SX1 IS Digital Camera

5. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Probably the best P&S previously was the Nikon E-8800, but it's time is gone. Today the Canon G11 rules them all in terms of the better P&S cameras out there on the market.

That said, like others say... if you can afford to get a dSLR... thats the direction you want to go.

6. JELIFISH19

JELIFISH19 TPF Noob!

Like bigtwinky said, if I decide to stick with it, I'll get a DSLR. Right now, I think I need something a little more convenient. I don't want to deal with different lenses. After a little more research, I realized that I'm looking more for a bridge camera, not a high end P&S.

7. AUZambo

AUZambo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Linky

Thank me later.

8. beala

beala TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You'll still have to deal with *a* lens, if you buy a bridge camera. It just turns out that you'll be stuck with that lens forever. You could just as easily buy a DSLR and stick with the kit lens. Then you can start "dealing with lenses" when you outgrow the kit lens. At least the option will be there if you buy a DSLR. It won't if you buy a bridge camera.

And don't completely write off analog photography. At one point I had been lusting over DSLRs for a while, but, on a whim, bought a darkroom for $60 on CraigsList. I haven't looked back. This is one way to save money in the short term, and arguably in the long term.

Of course, I suppose it all depends on what the class is more oriented towards, digital or analog.

Good luck!

9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    A small,light entry-level Nikon or Canon is pretty affordable these days,and the picture quality from the basic kit lens (an 18-55mm f/3.5~5.6 lens) with IS from Canon or with VR from Nikon is very good. I'm surprised to hear an instructor suggest a point and shoot camera for a photo class.

As far as "seeing if you want to pursue it farther", I cannot stress enough how photography with a point and shoot is a major PITA at times, with slow focusing, and 1/10 second shutter lag, or worse. If you begin with a d-slr, you'll understand what photography is about. If you begin with a point and shoot, you probably will not understand what photography could be...

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Agreed, if you can afford a DSLR even if only with the kit lens for a while, go that route. It will have much more capability and you'll learn a lot more about photography basics. Even if you decide it's not for you, you will be able to sell it, and probably at much less of a loss than the P/S camera.

11. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It would make zero sense to me to spend $600 on a point and shoot when you could pick up a decent SLR with lens, for that price.

12. mrs.hutch

mrs.hutch TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    im also looking at equpiment for the first time.. i was thinking about a PS but i already have a PS with a few manual settings that ive been playing with so i decided to make the jump to a dslr.. i found a Nikon D40 (i know its nothing special, but its my first one..) with 2 lenses, memory, bag, basically a nice little 'kit' to start with for just $400!! also if u trust ebay, i have seen several dslr cameras go for just a few hundred bucks. so you might look into that too.