What to buy for the d40 , upcoming indoor shoot.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ponyboy4130, Mar 25, 2008.

1. ponyboy4130

ponyboy4130 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I'm a beginner Photographer Just learning the ropes. My girlfriend is a hair stylist and they are having a launch party at their salon. I was asked to come, and just take pictures, and i thought it would be fun. Now im not under a ton of pressure to produce perfect images, but i would love to take something worth looking at. There will be a ton of hair models walking around, etc, but im there to just cover the event.

Now its Indoors, and all im shooting with a my nikon d40, and kit 18-55 lens. I have been reading about the 50mm 1.8 lens, lacking the AF on the d40, but its cheap enough to try. I dont think i can use flash, but any tips? should i rent a couple lenses, is renting worth it? i just want to use this oppertunity to teach me the differences of lenses. I was looking at the 18-200 VR, i basically just want some pointers, or maybe which tools would be worth investing in to better my experience, and maybe produce some different images. Anything will help

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You don't think you can use flash? I would ask about that.

My first recommendation would be to get a good accessory flash...probably the SB600.

Then when you are shooting in the salon, aim it up at the ceiling or at the walls etc. The bounced light will make a big difference as compared to using the built-in flash or no flash at all.

You might also want to add something to send some light forward. A simple bounce card would probably do it.

3. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Index card + rubber band = simple bounce card

4. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I probably wouldn't get the 50mm F1.8. At the maximum aperture, or even something quite less than that, you would need to focus PERFECTLY for it to come out well. I'd stick with the kit 18-55.

Certainly ask about if you're allowed flash or not. If you are, invest in a SB-600 and make use of the bounce head; it will look softer on the eye and more natural than the harsh, direct light the built-in flash produces.

Good luck!

5. ponyboy4130

ponyboy4130 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok ill check today, sb600, or sb800? worth the extra money?
    I should say, i always have auto iso on, and have problems with my images being noisy in low light, because of the high iso, and no use of flash. WOW , im really a begginer, and im babbling, i need to just keep reading. ( i have only been shooting for 4 months) sorry.

thanks ill look into the flash and a the cards

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you have the money for the SB800...it's a better unit...but really, for this job (and probably most things) the SB600 is probably enough power.

The trick to using high ISO, is that you have to get the exposure right...and don't underexpose. Check the histogram and 'Expose to the Right'.

When using a flash like the SB600 or SB800...you probably won't need to go any higher than ISO 400.

7. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 800 has a little bit more power but, other than that, it doesn't do much for the D40.

8. ponyboy4130

ponyboy4130 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok i ordered the sb600 with the diffuser attachment, (it was a couple extra bucks, is it useful?) i guess ill hold off on a lense, and see where the 18-55 gets me, i want aother lense, but dont know what to buy, maybe ill try renting something for a test. any other tips?