What to buy next: Secure Digital(Patriot)

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by tenlientl, Oct 9, 2008.

1. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

I got a few things I really wanna buy.

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Tripod
    Memory Card(8GB or 16G)
    Extra Battery
    Hard Drive + Enclosure for backup

Anyways. I saw a cheap 16GB for $41 by Patriot Signature Line Class 6. An 8GB is $22.

Buying 2 8GB is like $3 more, but it seems to be a better decision. What if the 16GB breaks, that's 16GB. What do you guys think?

And how is this brand? I know Kingston and Sandisk is one of the best(actually, im not sure about Kingston. I know they're good for RAM...). ATM, I use a Class 6 4GB Kingston. The read/write is good enough for me atm. No need for that Extreme 20mb read/write one.

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Most people agree that its better to have many smaller cards than a few big ones - that way if a card does die on you you have not lost everything. An 8GB card even when shooting RAW, will certainly give you enough room for a lot of shots - even if you are shooting in burst mode.
    Kingston seem to be a good brand, though I have no experience of their cards for cameras. Sandisk are almost top of the game and whilst they might cost a little more most people consider them worth the cost

3. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A 8 or 16 GB card for 50 bucks... you will get what you pay for... garbage. You are asking for a huge card that will be slow as hell and will likely have about a 6-12 month lifespan before it dies an ugly death... usually during an important event when you need your camera most.

I would suggest you stick to known good performing/lasting cards. SanDisk is the only one that touches my camera, but I am sure there are other ones just as good. Be prepared to pay a little more than 50 bucks. ;)

Also depending on the camera, if you are at 10MP or bigger, an 8 GB card gives you around 480 pictures or less at RAW level files... that's not a lot of pics!

4. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

I guess smaller it is. The $8GB is actually $29. It's just on sale.

I don't know. I always thought OCZ, Patriot, Kingston and Sandisk was a reliable one. It's the other that sucks o.o

Anyways. Question. I'm from Canada and plan to order a lens and battery from B&H. How does warranty work? Through Nikon USA or can I get it through Canada?

5. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, where did you find the 16GB for $40? Not for my camera, but for my Pocket PC where performance is irrelevant.

6. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

cheap online store ncix.com that's based locally.

really, guys. i always thought the brand Patriot was reliable. i mean, for computer related it is.. i'm sure they're secure digital should be good enough for cameras too o.o. normal price of that 16GB is $60

7. Mystwalker

Mystwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you need the speed (continuous shooting) go for a Sandisk III or IV - I forget if those or Ultra or Extreme. I know the 16GB are EXPENSIVE - over $100 last I looked. I think the IV require specific technology to use so you will want to check on this one.

If you do not need the speed (like me), go for the Sandisk IIs or another brand such as Kingston, Ridata, Transcend, etc ... you can get 4GB for under $30, sometimes under $20.

Also, I prefer 4GB over the 8/16GBs. Less lost photo if/when it decides to die. But more wear/tear on camera card slot. I figure it's cheaper (for me) to have camera repaired then to lose that "once in a lifetime" shot.

8. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

Yes. I'm not too worried for speed. I still want a quality card though. I guess if you guys don't know about Patriot, it's not that great for cameras. Maybe I should just shoot in JPEG for now o.o.

Right now I just wanna get used to the camera's exposure and get some idea on composition.

9. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

If getting rebate is fine with you, this 8GB SanDisk Extreme III Secure Digital is $24 after rebate (rebate end in Oct 11th) (20mb /sec)

http://www.adorama.com/IDSSD8GE3.html

The 30mb/sec version cost $20 more after rebate.

10. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

Does it ship to Canada? I decided to just stick with 4GBs. I'm not that great with rebates o.o