What to buy next?

kitkatdubs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am ready to purchase a really nice lens but am having trouble deciding. I currently own two prime lenses: 24mm + 50mm. I also own the kit lens that is 18-135mm. I am learning that I LOVE to shoot children, families + maternity. I am starting to try newborns too. SO with all that being said, I can either purchase the 24-70mm OR the 70-2oomm for my Canon. I rented the 24-70 a while back and absolutely LOVED it for shooting children and families. However, I have no experience with the 70-200 so I can't really compare why I would like one over the other. Thoughts? For example, in a couple weeks I'll be doing family photos for 11 people and 3 children. Could I use the 70-200 or will it be to narrow? Need some help!!!!!

If you shoot at longer focal length such as 200mm, you just need to have enough room between the camera and the subject especially for full body shots. Personally, I like the way the subject looks in the photo when taken with a longer focal length (less perspective distortion). i.e. 85mm vs 200mm

If you shoot at longer focal length such as 200mm, you just need to have enough room between the camera and the subject especially for full body shots. Personally, I like the way the subject looks in the photo when taken with a longer focal length (less perspective distortion). i.e. 85mm vs 200mm

what is the 24-70mm lens typically used for? product shots? newborn photography?

I was in the same boat a few months back. I chose the 24-70mm mkii over the 70-200 for more day to day use. I will get the 70-200 one day, but the 24-70 rarely leaves my 5Dmkiii body...

If those maternity & newborn shots are indoors the 70-200 might be too long to be useful.

The 24-70 doesn't seem to offer much new (except not having to switch lenses) and I assume both the 50 & 24 are at least as fast (and probably faster) than the zoom.

I guess it depends what kind of shots you like the most. Something like adding the Canon 135L would be cheaper and better if you don't plan to shoot longer than that. Heck you could get the Sigma Art 35 + the Canon 135L and still be at the price of just the 24-70. Getting the 85 1.2 is in a similar price point as the 24-70 and is a very unique lens that could be great for your subject matter.

So I guess you need to decide how much you value the ability to zoom/use mainly one lens during a shoot. If you value that a lot, the 24-70 seems to make sense. If you don't mind switching lenses the 2 options I listed (and I'm sure many other options exist) would be a phenomenal addition to your kit.

Do you have a full frame or crop body?

Do you have a full frame or crop body?
I'm assuming crop with the 18-135 kit lens.. I believe that is the EF-S mount.

Oops, you're right, over read that. I think the 70-200 on a crop body will be next to useless indoors, Unless you're shooting in mansions with lots of space to work with.

So with the crop, I'd think the 24-70 if it's in the budget, or the 85 f/1.8... Even the 100mm f/2.8 macro can be found used for a decent price and can be a fun lens. Does good portrait work and the macro ability can be fun for other things.

So with the crop, I'd think the 24-70 if it's in the budget, or the 85 f/1.8... Even the 100mm f/2.8 macro can be found used for a decent price and can be a fun lens. Does good portrait work and the macro ability can be fun for other things.
I love my 100/2.8 Macro, but don't think it will be good for taking photos of kids/new borns indoors. I think a Sigma 17-70 might be better and with the spare change buy Speed-lights and triggers.

Yes I have a Canon 50D - will hopefully be upgrading that to a 5Diii soon. I've had my 50D for 6 years and am ready for something a little nicer. I really want a zoom lense with the capability to have a wide aperture. I loved the 24-70 when I rented it but my husband thinks the 70-200 would be better to get that really nice Bokeh. I rarely shoot indoors and if I do, I use my 50mm prime lens. So conflicted on what to get:/

Well if you're happy with your indoor gear, you can't go wrong with the 70-200 f/2.8 mkii. Then add the 85 f/1.8.. remember your 50mm on the crop sensor is showing a field of view(framing) of around 80mm.

Last edited:
Since you hesitated too long, you'll be sad to learn that the rare Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6L USM which was on sale at B&H Photo for $180,000 (used price) has sold. They have no other copies of that lens in inventory, so I'm afraid you'll have to look for something else.

Since you hesitated too long, you'll be sad to learn that the rare Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6L USM which was on sale at B&H Photo for $180,000 (used price) has sold. They have no other copies of that lens in inventory, so I'm afraid you'll have to look for something else.
Haha thanks Tim! Im super bummed:(

Most reactions

Back