What to buy with christmas money?

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to buy a new bag, Tamrac 5585 (exp. 5x) for $160 (ouch)
and...
I am Canon btw...

I also been looking at flashes, I am just an amature now, but I would like to do wedding photography in the future (not near future), so ill basically be using it for inside family events. I wont be doing anything "pro" with it, but I would like a nice flash. How do I know which is right for me?
Also, is the XTi, E-TTL compatable?

I was looking at the 430EX II, is that overkill?

I am probably going to ritz and pickup saome new filters too, A "pro" grade CPOL, since mine is cheap, its from ebay in a "package" i got awhile back...

Lets see, what other goodies can I get... I need a blower to clean since I dont have one yet... Any suggestions/ideas? I also got the RC-1, cool little remote :p

Edit: I am also looking for a cheap, but decent, graycard, and white on the other side, for WB and exposure.

Last edited:
ummm, when you swing by ritz, check out the expedition 5 too.

It's a big backpack, WAY too big for a rebel kit and 2 really small lenses.

ummm, when you swing by ritz, check out the expedition 5 too.

It's a big backpack, WAY too big for a rebel kit and 2 really small lenses.
Ya I been there and checked it out... I plan on getting 70-200mm and other stuff. its not just to hold what I have now, but everything I will ever have lolz... Better too big than too small...

How is amazon?
Ive never bought from amazon, is it kinda like ebay?

Hows this: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IIQ1AG?smid=A2LM6ZPY06LT1N&tag=yahoo-ce-20&linkCode=asn"]Amazon.com: Tamrac 5585 Expedition 5x SLR Photo/Laptop Backpack (Black) + Deluxe DB ROTH Accessory Kit: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Cheap price, too good to be true? Better than B&H plus some cheap tripod (i dont need) and blower/cleaner.'

Edit: I like the expedition model, and the 4x is too small, so the 5x it is!

Ya I been there and checked it out... I plan on getting 70-200mm and other stuff. its not just to hold what I have now, but everything I will ever have lolz... Better too big than too small...

How is amazon?
Ive never bought from amazon, is it kinda like ebay?

Hows this: Amazon.com: Tamrac 5585 Expedition 5x SLR Photo/Laptop Backpack (Black) + Deluxe DB ROTH Accessory Kit: Camera & Photo

Cheap price, too good to be true? Better than B&H plus some cheap tripod (i dont need) and blower/cleaner.'

Edit: I like the expedition model, and the 4x is too small, so the 5x it is!

Have to watch Amazon as they allow other sellers to sell on their site. Amazon is top notch. And some others on there as well. But I also know there are a couple companies well known for their past bait and switch tactics selling on there as well. So make sure you know who it is coming from.

Not sure about the price, but that tripod in the amazon sold kit is almost worthless. If they have raised the price of the bag any to include the tripod, its too much.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think the 430 flash would be perfect for you. If you do not own a flash, best get one. And yes, the XTi is ETTL.

+1 on getting a flash if you dont have one. Even if you dont use it a whole lot. Because when you need one, you will regret not having one.

430ex or 430ex II
No i dont have a flash yet.. Should i get the II or the I?

I kinda dont like the appearance of the 220EX, looks kinda cheap, is it a good flash? I like the 430ex II...
Is the 220ex even worth it? Or should I get the 430EX

Last edited:
Wish I could help you with that but, I dont shoot Canon. But as a rule of thumb I would buy the best you can afford.

definatly agree on getting the best you can afford!
I don't know the difference between the 430 and 430M2 - but either would be well suited to your level of photography - though I would go for the 2 if you can. The other flash you mention is really a more limited device and I would not go for it.
Flash adds a lot of versatility to shooting and makes inside shooting much easier - don't forget to look into flash diffusers - there is a whole range out on the market with different uses and I won't attempt to sway you in any direction as I have very little experience with them.

As for a filter at pro grade look for either a B+W (B&W) or a Hoya filter and aim for their midrange or higher models and you won't go wrong

And definatly pick up a blower (Giottos Rocket Blower!) - at least this is a cheap addition :)

That is a god filter quality wise, but it is not a multi-coated one. Just wanted to point that out in case you didn't catch that.

for a cheap gray card with white back thats pretty durable just got to a local art store and pick up one of those foam boards. they usualy have a it in gray and its white on the back.
2.gif

what exactly is multicoated and why is it better? less lens flair?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back