What to charge?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by angle of view, Jul 28, 2008.

1. angle of view

angle of view TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I recently graduated w/ a degree in Photographic Technology, and although the program was an awesome learning experience, it lacked in the business expects of the art. I'm trying to kick start my own photo business. I'm marketing to doing a variety of work, but concentrating primarily in architectural work. Upon getting a job, I'm unsure what to charge for a day rate, capture, etc... Any suggestions on some general guidelines I can follow would be very much appreciated!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest finding out what other photographers in your area are charging. That should give you a good starting point.

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Agreed, but before you do that, figure out what you need to charge. Someone posted this handy calculator: http://www.nppa.org/professional_development/business_practices/cdb/cdbcalc.cfm here a while ago, and while it's usefulness is limited, it's a good reminder of the things you need to take into account when figuring out how much you need to charge in order to keep food on the table and new lenses in the gadget bag.