what to choose???

blackdoglab

yeah I'm easy.... but I'm not cheap
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been making post mission plans and I'm now looking into getting a better medium format camera. What I've got now is a Yaschica A, a fine camera... but I want something with a lens system. I've thought about a Yaschicamat 124 (it has telephoto and wide acessory lenses) but I've heard that the wide and tele extensions aren't that good. How about Mamiya then? i must admit, I like the C330. I've never actually used one, but I like the idea of an interchangable lens TLR. The one downside I can see is the "heft" it has (but then again, I use a Zenit 12 for 35mm and it's a bit husky itself). I'm also looking at either a Pentacon or a Kiev 60. I have a funny feeling that they'd be easier to manag than the C330 for handheld work. Granted that the Pentacon has notorious film advance issues, but I like the concept and design.

Now, don't get me wrong, I've looked at Bronica and Mamiya's 645 and 6x7 stuff, but it's not what I'm in for and my budget is around $300 for camera, lens, and finder. Maybe I should've stated it earlier, but here are my basic qualifications...

1. Manual/Mechanical operation.
2. Meter not needed
3. Cheap!!!
4. auto nothing... I've never felt the need for autoexposure, and it's just one more thing to go wrong anyway.
5. this camera has got to be one tough son of a gun... (it may take a few busters)

Example photos I've seen of the accessories on the 124G are not exactly an endorsement, so I'd pass on that one. Occasionally you'll find an RB67 outfit in your price range (I know you said no 6x7...) although it'll cost to add lenses to that. The bright side is as you do you have a truly top notch system.

Dave

Actually...
I have looked at older Pentax 67 cameras.... but I doubt I could afford a body and lens at this point.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Bronica ETRS is a wonderful MF SLR with fine glass at very cheap prices these days.

The RB67 is a tank of a camera going for almost nothing these days.

Both are fine professional cameras once selling new for thousands of dollars now available for nearly nothing.

Check the classifieds of these photo forums. I'd stay away from flea-bay, a dumping ground of nothing but trash. Many of the cameras I have repaired have came from there. SO take your chances and save a few bucks but be prepared to spend a few bucks in repairs.

I am a big fan of the Mamiya system...you can pick up an inexpensive C330 or C3 these days, and the lens system is pretty good. Are you interested in square format only? If you like 645, you can find Fuji's for pretty cheap. They have fixed lenses only, though, like 75mm. Bronica's aren't bad either, but I'm a huge fan of Mamiya, I'm on my third (now at 6x7 format, if you haven't tried it, it's fantastic! RB67s and RZ67s are pretty cheap nowadays, the RZ is much smaller/lighter than the RB).

Actually...
I have looked at older Pentax 67 cameras.... but I doubt I could afford a body and lens at this point.
My husband walked into a camera store on a whim while visiting his parents in Houston, and came out with a Pentax 6x7 (older 67, all manual, CLA'd and immaculate), wooden grip, and one lens....for $150. :lol:

We've added a prism finder for another $100. (I'm not that wild about waist level VF.) Still hand-holdable (is that a word?). We've run one roll of film through it and of course, that Asahi glass is jaw-droppingly good for the money.

You can read more here if you've not seen this page already.

(Silly man was afraid to show it to me when he got home....he actually thought I'd scold him for buying it. Instead we're sort of fighting over it. :lovey: I fall in love so easily!)

Bottom line: it's not an overly expensive option, and you could end up with a very good MF system.

I like the Mamiya suggestions, they're really cheap and abundant. I use my Mamiyaflex once in a while, especially when doing close-up work, it can't be beaten. Solid, simple, interchangeable lenses, no meter, pretty much what you want. ;)

Most reactions

Back