What to do about spot?

LMAO. You seriously think I'm just making stuff up?

At any rate - i waswrong about technicolor which uses prisms. I do know that the camera I saw and unsuccessfully bid on used pellicles. It was a leathed-bound box camera with three film planes for each primary, each one with ground glass and microfocus mechanism. I know it had pellicles because it is this auction I learnedly the meaning of the word.

I don't remember any other details aside from it being 5x7 and sold for something like $1700 several years back. It may very well had been a prototype or custom build, which was much more common in the early 20th century. However, I do seem to remember this technique being employed, unfortunately with all the buzz surrounding SLT I'm not finding much on obscure early color techniques.

No I did not assume you were making stuff up.

I don't always trust my memory and often provide supporting links.

You mentioned your own memory was, at least partly, also unreliable.

I gust go to the service station and use their air hose

^^ lol. you're hardcore.

Oh, OK. KMH. I though you were being hostile. Anyway, no this one I am very sure of. It was a cool beast of a camera at a time I was really interested in composite color. Really wish I could have grabbed it.

LMAO. You seriously think I'm just making stuff up?

At any rate - i waswrong about technicolor which uses prisms. I do know that the camera I saw and unsuccessfully bid on used pellicles. It was a leathed-bound box camera with three film planes for each primary, each one with ground glass and microfocus mechanism. I know it had pellicles because it is this auction I learnedly the meaning of the word.

I don't remember any other details aside from it being 5x7 and sold for something like $1700 several years back. It may very well had been a prototype or custom build, which was much more common in the early 20th century. However, I do seem to remember this technique being employed, unfortunately with all the buzz surrounding SLT I'm not finding much on obscure early color techniques.

There were indeed a few tricolour cameras in the early 40's that used two pellicle mirrors to split the light into three. National Photocolor and Devin made them, and National Photocolor is still in business making pellicles (link). Oddly enough they were called 'one-shot' colour cameras, because you didn't have to make sequential colour separation exposures. The Photo Techniques magazines I have from the 40's have quite a lot of adverts for these cameras.

There are also idiots who read "blow on the mirror"
I have used my mouth and a hand blower to blow dust off the mirror and focusing screen. People have to be smart enough to hold the camera with the lens mount pointed down so the dust falls out of the mirror box.

I have used my breath to fog the mirror so I could clean it with a lens tissue. I have lifted the main mirror so I could clean the secondary mirror.

How long have you been doing SLR/DLR photography?

Long enough. I'll just go by what my manual (as well as every photography instructor I've ever had) says instead of some guy on the interwebz who thinks he knows better ;)

There are also idiots who read "blow on the mirror"
I have used my mouth and a hand blower to blow dust off the mirror and focusing screen. People have to be smart enough to hold the camera with the lens mount pointed down so the dust falls out of the mirror box.

I have used my breath to fog the mirror so I could clean it with a lens tissue. I have lifted the main mirror so I could clean the secondary mirror.

Long enough. I'll just go by what my manual (as well as every photography instructor I've ever had) says instead of some guy on the interwebz who thinks he knows better ;)
Some guy that has 30 years experience.

Some guy that has 30 years experience.
Keith, you should know by now that these days everything has to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. You can't just say ' blow the mirror off '. You have to spell it out precisely so that the dumbest person that ever walked the Earth won't mess it up.

(And just because it might come off that way - no, I am not picking on you, Bossy. It's just that this 'dumbing down' of everything is very common these days, and personally - I can't stand it. I try to give people the benefit of doubt that they are capable of making the right decision, but I have been proven wrong on that plenty of times, so maybe you're on to something.)

I've owned motion picture cameras whose manuals say that you should never clean the mirror with even the softest tissue, but I've never seen a manual or heard a recommendation that said 'don't use a blower, suck the dust off'. Here's what the D7000 manual says, for example: "Lens, mirror, and viewfinder: These glass elements are easily damaged. Remove dust and lint with a blower. If using an aerosol blower, keep the can vertical to prevent the discharge of liquid. To remove fingerprints and other stains, apply a small amount of lens cleaner to a soft cloth and clean with care." Many people recommend against the use of canned air inside a camera because it just might blow the dust further in, and against using it on the mirror, but until this thread I had never heard a recommendation against using a hand blower (do it gently though). As already mentioned, it's also common practice to hold the camera facing down so that you blow upwards. Statically-charged, oil-free soft brushes, used very gently, seem to work OK for dust removal from mirrors in my experience.

Most reactions

Back