What to Do, What to Do?

cdnaiphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
SO...I have been building a portfolio and for now I have not been charging while I am gaining experience, knowledge, etc. WELL, I told my clients that I would give them ALL EDITED photos on a disc, now they are requesting all originals "just for personal use." I dont really want to give them the originals because they aren't my best work (OOF, Bad Lighting, etc) and they will post them on Facebook and such and that just makes me look bad ya know? But considering that I am not technically charging how do I say no?

Tell them the edits were free but charge them for the orignals. :lol:

Sorry, I know that's not helpful. Was there something about your editing they didn't like, that they think they'd be better off with the originals?

I don't have a studio so maybe someone else can comment on this from the business side of things, but I know when I show my photos to people, I almost never explicitly mention that they were edited unless I'm showing them side by side to show off the improvement. So maybe in the future you shouldn't tell them you're only giving them edited photos. I don't know what the "standard etiquette" for this is.

As for this particular situation, you may be best off just giving them the originals since they already know they exist. If you're worried about the impact to your reputation then maybe you need to re-think how you're going about building a portfolio, because if someone is in possession of your photography, whether they paid for it or not, and whether you edited it or not, it's going to get out where others can see it, even if it's just because it's hanging on their wall. If you want control over which ones are seen, you need to exercise that control up front, and not after the fact.

Just my two cents.

Each photographer has their process. Some will go as far as giving both edited photos and non edited back to the customer for a price.. Your issue results from not informing your client what is expected from each session and what they will receive. I would say if they do want all the originals and edits then say you'll sign off the rights for a certain $$$$$ amount otherwise they get what they signed for. You do have a contract spelling out everything correct?
BTW, you are charging for the sessions, its called "Bartering" the trading of photography sessions with edited photos for experience.

Not charging while you build a portfolio, is a mistake. A huge mistake.

Not having a signed contract with your clients that spells out what you will provide, and the terms and conditons of the agreement, is a mistake. A huge mistake.

Not providing your clients a use license, is a mistake. A huge mistake.

Charge at the lower end of the going rate for your area, but......discount your prices while you portfolio build.

The client never gets to see 'outtakes'.

You can say no because though you are not charging for the photos, you own the copyright to them, not the client.

www.copyright.gov
www.sba.gov
www.score.org

Most reactions

New Topics

Back