[Dillz]

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dylanwhite.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys!

So I love fashion photography and I really want to be in the business of photography. I think im damn good for only having my cam for 5 months.
The problem is....Where do I look? I live in Orange county and the people by me have no money for photos. I want to find a magazine or cloths store but im kinda stuck.

Please give me some pointer or what ever you can.

Here is my site. Dylan White

Love the website! Who did it for you? Or did you do it?

Yeah, I could give you advice but it would be an utter waste of time. I live in the middle of Arkansas.

Stuck?... Why?

LA is only the second largest (if not the largest) photography market in the world. It is up to you to find the clients that you think will buy your work. Keep in mind that the old adage is true; photography is 80% marketing and 20% photography. Networking is also a huge part of the deal so keep shooting and get your name known around town.

There are tons of magazines and agencies in LA and nationally. Contact them and say a prayer. There are no secrets to success; just takes a great book and lots of leg work. Narrow your search to the publications and agencies that you think could benefit from your style of photography.

Love & Bass

I think he nailed it on the head, but aren't you the one that just had a thread telling people how to make money doing what they love. Good looking site btw.

Craig, this is true. My problem is how do I get the eye catching photos people will buy? I have called the few photography studios near me about being an assistant but no one will accept me yet they all say my work is good and I have great potential.

Themedicine, yes I made that thread but im not making bank or working where I want. Sure im making some money and im glad, its better then most.

[Dillz];1807053 said:
.....how do I get the eye catching photos people will buy? ...
Easy peezy, extra cheesy.....You make them! After all, "I think im damn good" ;):thumbup:

[quote='[Dillz]They all say my work is good and I have great potential.[/quote]

I don't want this to come off the wrong way, by telling you have great potential, means one day you will be great, but you may not be there yet.

Another reason some people get turned away is long-term vision or lack of it, It is great that you want to shoot fashion, but so does everyone who picks up a camera. True fashion work requires a vast amount of equipment as well as understanding of the client/creative director’s vision. You may not need a ton of equipment on every shoot, but you need to know how to shape light for your clients needs, just pushing the button is not enough.

Try to put yourself in the position of the people you are asking to hire you. If you represent yourself as a fashion photographer and a magazine hires you, but on the day of the shoot you show up with a Digital Rebel or D40 with no lighting, it would be the last time you get the chance.

You need to find a way to view some shoots, no camera in hand, just sit back and watch from beginning to end. Excitement is a great thing and you need to remain excited, but be sure you know what you are doing.

Take your time, fashion will not be going away, learn everything you can and if you stay at it you will get your shot and you will be ready for it.

My problem is how do I get the eye catching photos people will buy?
Maybe you are thinking about this the wrong way. In fashion (and many other types of photography), you typically don't make great photos and then get people to buy them.
They hire you for your skill & expertise, the great photos come out of that, usually from a collaboration of a whole team including photographer, make-up artist, fashion designer, art director or editor, retouch artist etc.

I don't want this to come off the wrong way, by telling you have great potential, means one day you will be great, but you may not be there yet.

Another reason some people get turned away is long-term vision or lack of it, It is great that you want to shoot fashion, but so does everyone who picks up a camera. True fashion work requires a vast amount of equipment as well as understanding of the client/creative director’s vision. You may not need a ton of equipment on every shoot, but you need to know how to shape light for your clients needs, just pushing the button is not enough.

Try to put yourself in the position of the people you are asking to hire you. If you represent yourself as a fashion photographer and a magazine hires you, but on the day of the shoot you show up with a Digital Rebel or D40 with no lighting, it would be the last time you get the chance.

You need to find a way to view some shoots, no camera in hand, just sit back and watch from beginning to end. Excitement is a great thing and you need to remain excited, but be sure you know what you are doing.

Take your time, fashion will not be going away, learn everything you can and if you stay at it you will get your shot and you will be ready for it.
:thumbsup:

[Dillz];1807517 said:
[Dillz];1807053 said:
.....how do I get the eye catching photos people will buy? ...
Easy peezy, extra cheesy.....You make them! After all, "I think im damn good" ;):thumbup:
Damn good for having my cam 6 months :) not expert haha

then maybe you should just continue to hone your craft for now.

if you wanna do fashion, sign up for model mayhem, and seek out fashion shoots. continue building a network. THEN go look for a magazine to work for.
im sorry but it sounds like youve got the cart before the horse.

then maybe you should just continue to hone your craft for now.

if you wanna do fashion, sign up for model mayhem, and seek out fashion shoots. continue building a network. THEN go look for a magazine to work for.
im sorry but it sounds like youve got the cart before the horse.
yeah im waiting for approval haha I did a few days ago. Ya I know im a lil ego but I just want to do great. I dont mind the work.

[Dillz];1807053 said:
Craig, this is true. My problem is how do I get the eye catching photos people will buy? I have called the few photography studios near me about being an assistant but no one will accept me yet they all say my work is good and I have great potential.

Themedicine, yes I made that thread but im not making bank or working where I want. Sure im making some money and im glad, its better then most.

You do have potential. Your style is good, just maybe slightly raw. Work with diffusion and some fill cards and take it from there. Main thing is to keep shooting.

"Eye catching photos that people will buy" is the question that most photographers battle. Arguably the best you can do is develop a style and say a prayer and network. Target an audience that you think will benefit from your style. Takes a lot of research.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back