What to expect from the Canon EOS 60D?

yah but its still the ultimate "boys toy" for a camera enthusiast- all those components to swap and chance - all those neat little parts!! Course you'd have to be pretty well setup to afford one of those!

yah but its still the ultimate "boys toy" for a camera enthusiast- all those components to swap and chance - all those neat little parts!! Course you'd have to be pretty well setup to afford one of those!

LOL, it even sounds more like a rifle than a camera.

It looks & sounds like a new AR waiting to be tricked out, lol. Guns are probably even worse than cameras, as far as accessories go. :lol:

Pretty much any hobby is like that though - you can spend as much on it as you can afford to. There's always some new piece of gear that you 'need', the cost of which 'other' people just can't comprehend. :lol:

yah I remember when InTempus was around and showing off his guntoys and accessories! I could certainly get into collecting that stuff - or medival and fantasy swords (course it would start with long pointy things and end with armour, bows and more long pointy things!)

I'm jumping in a bit late here, but I just wanted to make an observation on the original post:

I've just posted a review (opinion) why I think that Canon 60D won't be such a great upgrade over the Canon 50D DSLR.

As far as I concern, the fact that Canon has added the 7D into the EOS series, it certainly narrows the upgrade options for the Canon 50D. So me might expect a new upgrade with minor changes, but nothing that will be a huge leap over the current Canon 50D DSLR. :grumpy:

I guess that many Canon 50D owners will be quite upset with the fact that the gap between the Canon 50D and the Canon 5D Mark II has been narrowed significantly after the announcement of the Canon 7D in Pre-IFA 2009. Let's hope that I am wrong, and that we will do see some significant improvements that will convince 50D owners to upgrade to the Canon 60D (whatever Canon will decide to call it).

As someone who owns both a 50D and 7D, I think the upgrade path is perfect as it is. To me, the 5DII is NOT an upgrade. It has much worse AF performance and much slower burst rate. It signifies a branch in the EOS product line stemming into high end, high res, studio production work, which leads from the 5D mkII to the 1Ds mkIII.

The 7D presents itself as a step in the speed and sports direction: high speed AF, high speed burst rate, big image buffer, etc. That path leads from the 7D to the 1D mkIV.

upgradepathcanon.jpg

With that said, the entire basis for argument on the 60D as an interruption in the upgrade path is flawed. Since there are no concrete facts about the 60D anyway though, argument about what it may or may not be is more or less moot. It will likely serve as a replacement for the 50D in the sense that it's better than the Rebel (xxxD series) but not as good as the single-digit (xD series) cameras; which would make perfect sense considering their naming structure. The best business plans try not to have self-competing products within their own lines. It would be reasonable to assume that it will have added features and new tricks, but also have some limitations (speed, buffer, ISO, whatever) preventing it from being "better" than its single-digit cousins.

If you are under some impression that the 60D will have a 7D-performance for a 50D-price, you're only going to be disappointed. If you see it as "a better camera than the 50D and cheaper than a 7D," it will probably be a great camera.

Peace.

cfusionpm, I agree with your evaluation, but one thing is weird. Do you think that what changes the path is the fact that one camera has faster continuous shooting specification then there other?

It's not just continuous shooting speed, but also differences in AF performance, resolution, and crop sensor vs full frame.

I just got back to this thread; Mishel's article on digitalphotograpohywriter dot com blog..he might be right--Canon might have killed off the 10D-20D-30D-40D-50D line, by its own hand...it's hard to say definitively where Canon will go. Every few years, the big camera company product matrix sees a significant realignment of its offerings. Camera companies go in new directions every few generations. Canon and Nikon have lately been competing not quite head-to-head...they leapfrog one another, and/or offer different capability sets.

The D300 was clobbering the 50D when the 50D was the top semi-pro body Canon had in APS-C...the Canon 7D was developed after an almost 2-year period when the 50D was just not doing well against a more-expensive, better D300...the 7D is Canon's first new metering system and first new entry into TTL remote flash commander in-camera, and uses the same type of transmissive viewfinder screen Nikon put into the original D300, plus the 7D has the best video in the APS-C class...

I think Canon needs to move "up-market", into a new camera that diverges from the long-running 10D to 50D series, offering more high-end features in an enthusiast-class body, like Nikon did with the D200 and D300,and like Canon did with the 7D. The 50D's successor model will likely be competing with the Nikon D90's follow-up model. If Nikon migrates the 51-point,wide-field, capable AF module of the D300 downward, into the D90's replacement, Canon will seriously regret not having moved "up-market" with the 50D's replacement model.

Canon could be poised on the brink of a new era...or they could roll out yet-another-same-old-same-old with a 60D, having gone D30-D60-10D-20D-30D-40D-50D...but I really,really do not think Canon will churn out an EIGHTH iteration of the same old thing...that just doesn't seem like what they will do at this point in time...to me at least.

I Derrel and welcome back. I have been investing my time to learn more about photography (of course need field experience, after I buy my new DSLR). I have spent hours and hours getting to learn more about geotagging photos, because I need it for my online application for the outdoor photography website that I intend to come up with in the next month or so. If you are interested you can read my Geotagging photos guide that covers GPS receivers and software for geotagging photographs (I can get recommendations and edit it if needed).

It is again off topic (or maybe not :confused:), but I also wanted to know (an couldn't find an answer for that for my guide), but does Canon has a specific external GPS receiver like the Nikon has (and if you had experience with it, is it accurate?). Who known, maybe the 60D will have it.

Many people use it to organize their photo offline and online. It is like doing a filter by location. I know that I will certainty need a GPS device for my application, which uses Google API to present my photos for my (upcoming) website visitors, and I want them to be able to look up photographs based on locations. After all, it is a website dedicated for outdoor photography and I will need for that purpose.

Also, if that not to much to ask, I want a recommendation on Nikon wideangle lenses (except the 14-24mm, which is too expensive for my budget and doesn't take filters).

oh, and Derrel, soon I will show you something very cool, I have made my own design concept Canon EVIL cameras, by editing the 50D image. But I don't know if I can use Canon logo on the camera (because of copyrights, so I am waiting for more info), but it is very cool. probably my next post. If you know anything regarding copyrights, please contact me with private message. Thanks.

And one more thing (I know, I dig again), but what is "My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit" next to my posts number??

(I need an avatar urgently... mmm.. I will come up with something cool I guess)

Best Regards.

Last edited:
Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR is optically pretty good,and accepts filters. Price is right.

I've read a review on Ken Rockwell blog and it say that the 16-35mm VR is the sharpest wide zoom he ever tested. I will continue reading more about it. Seems like the ultimate lens for my needs (If I choose Nikon at the end). Derrel, is photography your job, do you work as a photographer?

I've read a review on Ken Rockwell blog and it say that the 16-35mm VR is the sharpest wide zoom he ever tested.
Ken Rockwell is an idiot.

OK, maybe that's a bit generalized.... Consider him the "Stephen Colbert" of camera info. He has some decent core ideas, but skews them radically to be either funny or ironic and becomes more of a parody than any real source for good information. His site can be very misleading and give a lot of bad information if not cross-referenced with some kind of "real" review site.

Just a heads-up.

I love taking part in the photography blog sphere and I thought that Ken Rockwell is one of the leaders in this field. I actually don't know anything about him but he is very we ll known and appreciated on the web. Maybe that's my problem because I just give to much credit for people that seems professional, at least from what I read on the web. But again, I prefer readin reviews on dpreview, with lab tests and useful and professional info, better than ken's.

Canon could be poised on the brink of a new era...or they could roll out yet-another-same-old-same-old with a 60D, having gone D30-D60-10D-20D-30D-40D-50D...but I really,really do not think Canon will churn out an EIGHTH iteration of the same old thing...that just doesn't seem like what they will do at this point in time...to me at least.
I don't think that is a strong argument. There are eight generations of Honda Civic with a 9th on the way; ten generations of Toyota Corolla. Cars exist both above (Accord/Camry) and below (Fit/Yaris) those, and all increment with advancing technology (while remaining in their vehicle class). If an item in a line of products continues to sell well, there's no reason to cut it off. In a new product cuts into the sales of other products, things will then be shifted around. But since the xxD line has always been popular, they will keep making them until people stop buying them. That's business at its simplest. If they release this 60D and it tanks, maybe they would shake things up and move things around, but only time (and sales) will tell.

expect greatness :)

I wish it can correct CA in camera! :)

Most reactions

Back