What to expect from the Canon EOS 60D?

Yeah I thought it was strange myself, but I'll totally admit that I wish I had it sometimes when I'm shooting events within crowds. I'm only about 5'8"so I'll hold the camera up to get the shot. Live view helps a lot but it'd be nice to have alternate viewing angles though. But I read the D5000 has issues with the flip screen when used with a battery grip, and considering I have a grip on all my bodies, I'd be apprehensive about including it.

Quoted from Canonrumors

…. A Canon rep said
The August 11 announcement date is brought up again. This time from a Canon Rep in the southern hemisphere.

“The 50D and SX1 replacements will be announced next week.”

So I assume that is going to be the 60D.

CR seems to have what appears to be pretty reliable pics of the 60D:

60d1.jpg

60d2.jpg

Canon EOS 60D Pictures? Canon Rumors

Yep.. CR claims 18 mp, articulating screen and "optimized video" whatever that means... more fps options? better af?

CR seems to have what appears to be pretty reliable pics of the 60D:

60d1.jpg

Canon EOS 60D Pictures? Canon Rumors

It doesn't look like it's a flip down screen. So that wouldn't be a prob with having battery grips.

Replying to the original post, any upgrade to the next generation of model is not always advisable. There are times when the upgrades are just very small increments.

But there are exceptions. As mentioned, there are great upgrades like the 20D and 40D, or maybe even the 550D following the xxxD series. Who knows what the 60D is really packing? We won't know until we really see it.

Talking about business, I think Canon needed to release the 50D. We cannot deny that there are "new" users out there. Having something "newer" than the one or two year old 40D is still good business. I don't know if the 50D was truly a flop, but it could have been used to flank Nikon's releases.

Just my opinion..

I don't see the joystick to pick focus point in this leaked photo. Or is it all covered?

As a former Nikon shooter I would agree the metering is better on the Nikon system atl east compared to what my 50D does now. I really see this though as a small thing as in most situations the 50D does just fine and for my major stuff I ALWAYS use my Sekonic 758DR which surpasses anything any camera has in there cameras.

Going back to the original post in this thread...
why I think that Canon 60D won't be such a great upgrade over the Canon 50D DSLR.

Looking back, the 'next' camera in this line has rarely been a great upgrade over the former model. I'd grant that the 20D was a good deal better than the 10D, but the 30D was only a face-lift and not worth upgrading from the 20D. The 40D was a decent upgrade over the 30D, but mostly because the 30D was really just a 20D, and thus several years old by then. Most internet gum flappers were disappointed with the 40D because (like always) they expected a lot more and for less money. The 50D wasn't much of an upgrade over the 40D...which seams to fit the pattern.
HOWEVER....you need to consider that the 'target market' for the new model, isn't really owners of the previous model....it's owners of past models or lower (Rebel) models. For example, the 50D would be a tremendous upgrade from someone who owns a 20D or 30D.
So to extrapolate this...the 60D (if that's what is coming) would probably be a nice upgrade for people with a 20D, 30D or maybe even 40D....but maybe not worth the cost for someone who already has a 50D.
And because the internet reviewers will all be comparing the new model to the previous one, they will be disappointed that's it's not a 1Ds at the price of a Rebel. (and that's something I can predict with a lot more certainty than trying to guess what Canon will do next). :lol:

I'm very interested to see what Canon comes up with next. I'm due for an upgrade from my 20Ds. Do I want the new 60D, if it comes out?...or do I look at a 7D? or do I take the nice step up to full frame? (and have to buy new lenses). Heck, I'd be happy if they just gave us a 50D at a lower price.

It should be better than the 7D in most respects. Besides its about time for the 7D to be replaced want to talk about names. 8D, 9D, 10D oops got that already.

It's anyone's guess as to what comes next for both camera lines so will just have to wait for the 60D and whatever if anything replaces the 7D. Though I suspect we will be seeing the 5D Mark III before the next 7D.

For a personal prediction, FF would not surprise me, in fact I would be surprised if one of these D lines don't go that way.

I will be very very surprised if its better than the 7D in a substantial way. At the moment I'm thinking that it will either be a model sitting between 50D and 7D - ie a new slightly cheaper 1.6crop camera body to try and corner more of the market - or it will be a similar model with some nifty new features like the new screen as well as other small refinements.

This is unless canon is going to drop the 7D line and just threw that camera body in to upstage Nikon after the 50D got upstaged by Nikon - and thus the 60D (And then 70, 80 etc...) will return to the fore as the leading midrange camera bodies.

I just read that it will have a plastic body to reduce the price $200-300. Seems like a pity. I think the best thing about the xxD series is the magnesium body. That's a big reason why I bought the 50D.

I'm very interested to see what Canon comes up with next. I'm due for an upgrade from my 20Ds. Do I want the new 60D, if it comes out?...or do I look at a 7D? or do I take the nice step up to full frame? (and have to buy new lenses). Heck, I'd be happy if they just gave us a 50D at a lower price.

I "almost" never buy new on expensive items. I prefer to be on the better side of the depreciation equation. If you've been happy with the 20D this long, I say get the 50D used when the 60D comes out.

It should be better than the 7D in most respects. Besides its about time for the 7D to be replaced want to talk about names.

It shouldnt really be better than the 7d, its still a xxD model. About time for the 7d to be replaced? :S it hasnt even been out for a year yet has it? Also once the 7d is upgraded, they will probably take the Mark "x" route similar to the 5d, 1d and 1ds lines.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back