What to expect from the Canon EOS 60D?

Here's a comparison I'm sure you'll enjoy...comparing the ESO 7D and its video capabilities againats those of the $50 Barbie Video Girl camera

Canon 7D vs. Barbie Video Girl on Vimeo

and of course, the now-classic comparison of the Canon 7D versus the iPhone 4 and its video capabilities

iPhone 4 as good as the 7D? No, but it's amazing for what it is. on Vimeo

:chatty:

Also.. Looks like GH1 with Hacked firmware is also showing up the Canon 7d's video capabilities.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1BMugSQl1I[/ame]

Before you toss this up to the wind (along with those Canon vs Nikon snafu's), listen to the guy talking on the video. He explains why the Canon 7d's video "looks" less quality than the Panasonic GH1. Something to do with "downsampling" from the sensor... the samples are pretty convincing.

On the other hand.... its with hack'd firmware to open up some locked capabilities. He also mentions other "issues" with the GH1 hack'd firmware, which is always to be expected.

I have not heard anything about the 60D being full frame. According to Canon 60D Canon Rumors it's a plastic bodied 18MP camera that should retail for about 1,200 US dollars. (100-200 more than the T2I) Putting it in a totally different class market than the 7D.
If it turned out to be FF it would sure be interesting but don't think it would be a pro model which is what I would be after ie the plastic body. I real let down drop the video put on the magnesium body and maybe I would be interstead, but so far I am getting more turned off by it. I'll probably go with the 7D or another 50D as there prices are dropping making them a better and better deal.

Looking at the photos of the alleged 60D at Canonrumors Canon 60D Canon Rumors

it appears that the 60D will have a swing-out LCD screen, like the Nikon D5000...and it looks like at least 4 control buttons have been removed from the back,left side of the camera, which makes me think the 60D is a move down-market toward the D5000, and away from the D30-D60-10D-20D-30D-40D-50D lineage from which it has been born.

Eliminating buttons and moving more toward a menu-driven system, or hiding the buttons behind the fold-out LCD screen, is a move that would make sense if the D60 were aimed more toward the high-end consumer market, with the 7D being the semi-pro or serious enthusiast's camera, at a higher price point. The Nikon D90 has been a thorn in Canon 's side in this camera category--moving the D60 "down-market" to compete with the D90 and "D95" price point would make a lot of sense, since the 7D has sewed up a solid position in the high-end APS-C segment. The flip-out screen might really be of interest to people who are coming to the camera with video-shooting aspirations, and so it'd be a design tradeoff to eliminate, or re-position, four back of camera controls in order to get the video screen to flip down.

It looks like the 60D shown in the Canonrumors shot has 13 individual exposure modes, plus C and Bulb, on a top-left dial, which again, sort of speaks of a departure toward the customer who is coming from a different background than the traditional XXD series' seven previous incarnations. The single biggest area of improvement ought to be in the small "diamond" AF focus point pattern, but it will knowing Canon, probably be more of a video-centric improvement that rises to the top of the list. Video is "hot" right now.

but so far I am getting more turned off by it. I'll probably go with the 7D or another 50D as there prices are dropping making them a better and better deal.
I think that's the point. They don't want to canibalize their own camera line by making it "almost like a 7D, but 500$ cheaper." Then there'd be no reason to buy the 7D!

I don't think its going to be a $1200 18MP camera. I think it will definately have to have quite a huge difference to distinguish it. ( maybe a better processor? ) My reason for thinking this again is the "Megapixel Game." Canon is smart. They know that most people think that megapixels are what matter, and they exploit that. So having three 18MP cameras will infact cannibalize their high end 7D. Everyone will think, why bother, I can get the T2i, or at the VERY most get the 60D, because whats the diff, I will have 18megapixels to brag to my non-photographer pals about and save a chunk of change. Its pushing it enough to haqve 2 cameras that have the same resolution but when your have one small consumer body and one big hunky pro body, it is an easy thing to explain. I think if the 60D is what they claim it will be, it will not be a hugely saleable product for Canon, because they will have no logical way to make a consumer think that they NEED this product instead of either the T2i or the 7D. So whatever this new camera is, its going to have to have a pretty big "game changer" feature, or its going to have to be on a whole different level in terms of abilities. One or the other.

Looks like more details leaked out:

Canon EOS 60D Specs [CR2.5] Canon Rumors
post-19215-128277574492.gif

- 18 MP. 17.9 effective
- APS-C
- 100-6400 (Hi: 12800)
- 1/250 flash sync
- sdxc/hc
- h.264
- 1080 – 30/25/24
- 720 – 50/60
- 3″ Screen, 1MP
- 14 bit
- 11 min video
- 5.3FPS
- digic 4
- 9 AF points
- 63 zone (metering)
- 96% VF
- All 9AF points are crosstype

well, now that 60d is out we can see it's kinda pointless. same sensor as 7d, same movie mode and metering, so basically its a rebel with more expensive body and more accurate metering mode, for those that dont shoot in manual.

I was hoping it would have digic v :(

Here's my take on the Canon 60D vs Canon 7D discussion.

Canon 7D still wins for me. I really didn't know why some other people had the impression that the 60D would actually replace the 7D.

9 af points???
:banghead:
SDHC????!!!!!
:banghead:
DIGIC IV?????!!!!
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back